T for sale

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
D.Trotter
First Name: Dale
Last Name: Trotter

T for sale

Post by D.Trotter » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:45 am

I know there is not much to go on here, but does anyone have any input on this T? Any obvious red flags? Asking price is pretty high, but seller does say they are open to serious offers. https://scranton.craigslist.org/cto/d/h ... 27542.html

Gonenorth
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Whelihan
MTFCA Number: 30688
Board Member Since: 2008

Re: T for sale

Post by Gonenorth » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:59 am

Well, to start with its not "very original". And I agree, the price is questionable.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:35 am

If the engine and transmission is in good running shape along with the radiator it’s probably a pretty good car although may not be 100% original. That may or may not be an issue. To each his own.
Paint looks good and it doesn’t look like it’s been stored out behind the barn with a tarp over it.
If your really interested start at around $6500.00 and go from there. He will probably take around $9000.00 or less if he really wants to sell it. Another good thing it’s got a clear title. Make sure that it does.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:14 am

All painted over like that isn't most interesting, rather non-T. Poor photos to tell much, but question body panels and fit. The rear view shows deck lid held open with a stick, the left rear panel on the deck is sunk in. Fenders look so good they might be fiberglass, lot of all over painted ones sport those. Functional parts like gas tank, radiator, and steering may be in poor shape.

Can't see top bows or cover very well or the interior, no photos of side views, seat springs might be replaced with chunk of foam. Running condition won't tell if rear axle, chassis or engine has recently been rebuilt. That asking price would buy a fully done more correct, and good running runabout.

Would offer below 1/2 of asking price, after on-site inspection, for such a T in my part of this country.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:44 pm

I've seen a few "improved" (eg 26-27) T's that are in drivable, decent, and not painted all over condition for about half what he wants... It looks pretty, but from the pix, only just OK, nothing really spectacular, and with some really glaring issues on top of that.

IF he had some good pix, I could take a WAG, but who knows what's really there, and what it needs to be worth close to what he's asking... But from what I see... I'd pass.

Topic author
D.Trotter

Post by D.Trotter » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:29 pm

Thanks everybody. Honestly the biggest thing it has going for it is that it is not far away. Been wanting a T roadster for a while but would prefer an older black era car. Don't really have time for any travel right now. I may have to wait for something better close, or wait until the fall and travel a little.

Topic author
D.Trotter

Post by D.Trotter » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:54 pm

https://scranton.craigslist.org/cto/d/h ... 61785.html
Here is an updated add for the car. I messaged him and he said it has fiberglass front fenders, steel rear. I would like a roadster, but I don't think I could take the fiberglass fenders. Wouldn't mind tinkering, and the fenders would have to go, but the price would have to be right.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:39 pm

Hey? For a dollar? How can you go wrong? I think if someone posts an ad with the price given as a dollar? They should have to sell it for a dollar
Otherwise, it looks like a six thousand tops car to me (as others have said). And five thousand would be closer to right.

Topic author
D.Trotter

Post by D.Trotter » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:59 pm

wayne sheldon wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:39 pm
Hey? For a dollar? How can you go wrong? I think if someone posts an ad with the price given as a dollar? They should have to sell it for a dollar
Otherwise, it looks like a six thousand tops car to me (as others have said). And five thousand would be closer to right.
Thanks, $5,000 is about what I was thinking too. I'll look for something more to my liking. If this is still around closer to winter and I haven't found one, I may make a low ball offer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic