Somewhat OT - Porch Pirates!

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Somewhat OT - Porch Pirates!

Post by CudaMan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:16 am

Some may recall that I sold a ratcheting band wrench to a fellow member late last year.

The member contacted me to say that he never received the item, despite USPS tracking confirming that the item was delivered a few days after I sent it.

The only conclusion we could come to is that the package was pirated, either off his porch or right out of his mailbox!

I refunded the member's Paypal payment, so the loss is on me. :(

Be careful out there!
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Somewhat OT - Porch Pirates!

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:49 am

I had the same sort of thing happen with a large box of harnesses, showed tracking as delivered, but buyer found nothing.
I actually sent another order to him. As it was in transit, the first package was found, delivered to the wrong address ! :roll:

Will
First Name: Will
Last Name: Copeland
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915, 1919, 1923 TT
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by Will » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:52 am

That is becoming a real problem for people. I fortunately live on a dead end street where all my neighbors look out for each other. We had a drug dealer once that thought this was a good place to set up shop. He was gone with in a week. All it takes is for a out of place car to come onto the street and everybody takes notice. Some would say these are noisy neighbors but I say a great security system.
As Tom Sellick told Marston in the movie Quigley Down Under, I told you I dont have much use for handguns, I never said I didn't know how to use them!

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:04 pm

Nosy neighbors can have that positive effect.

I have one neighbor that I call "Gladys Cravitz" (not to her face) who's always into everyone else's business. It's kind of irritating. However, a few years back, during the middle of the work week around 10am, she spied smoke coming from a house two doors down and called the fire department. Turns out, the owner left the dryer running when she went to work and the lint in the dryer exhaust pipe had ignited a fire.

Due to the timeliness of the call, the house was saved with only minor damage. The firefighter said that the house was mere minutes away from a much more serious fire. There was a little dog in the house and heaven only knows what would've happened to him.
1924 Touring

Ruxstel24

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:48 pm

I have a sign on my front door that reads, "All deliveries and visitors, back door please", usually works, but occasionally seems delivery people need not be able to read !! :evil:
And I work here, so I keep an eye out.

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by DLodge » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:57 pm

Amen, Dave. I had a shipment about 5-6 weeks ago that Amazon informed me had been delivered. I couldn't see it anywhere in my building. When I checked again, there was a photo of it sitting in front of a door. The number next to the door was 775. I live at 875. Enough said.

Around Christmas, I saw someone on my parking lot who looked lost. I asked if he needed help and he said he was looking for number 875. I said that was me and he explained that he lived a block or so away and a package had been delivered there for me.

Perhaps delivery drivers should be forced to leave their phones at home so they would stop texting and concentrate on what they are supposed to be doing.... :D

Tmodelt
First Name: Kim
Last Name: Wynn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Roadster & 1927 Speedster

Post by Tmodelt » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:44 pm

USPS usually includes $50 insurance free on most packages. You must have the receipt. I don't know how long reimbursement would take. I insure for an amount to include refunds and replacement cost.

I have a home number the same as a block south. Multiple packages have been mis-delivered and they have kept or thrown away. I live on North @@@@@, they live on South @@@@@.

It does help when neighbors look out for each other.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:33 pm

Around here, it is the USPS that does the worst job. I get misdelivered mail about four per month on average. Before putting them in the outgoing slot, I always write on them "delivered to wrong address" figuring the proper recipient has a right to know about it. However, in thirteen years, literally hundreds of times I have written on envelopes, I have exactly and only once received such a written on envelope. I have spoken with many of my neighbors about this, and nearly all of them also said they write on such misdirected mail. I also am aware of many dozens of letters, bills, magazines, and even purchases that we never got. I suspect that the mail delivery persons are throwing away such mail rather than alert residents of their mistakes. I also believe if they are doing that, they are committing a Federal offense.

NHUSA
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Dimock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 T with Mifflinburg Suburban body

Post by NHUSA » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:42 pm

USPS can’t even get post office box numbers correct so don’t expect them to find the correct house.

We have a post office box and at least 4 times a month we go to the window and hand them a letter that has been placed in the wrong box.

UPS and FedEx usually get the correct house but once time they delivered a replacement phone to our neighbor instead of us.
It is either because of laziness or stupidity.
Both of which are inexcusable.
NH - Where I used to live - not the carburetor ! :lol:

BobShirleyAtlantaTx
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Shirley
MTFCA Number: 29135

Post by BobShirleyAtlantaTx » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:36 am

I mailed a medium express box on Dec 26 from a small post office in Rodessa La. tracking # 9114 9999 4431 3918 3566 31. The box was completely wrapped in stranded tape. Inside was two 6lb bars of Babbitt. The package was tracked leaving Rodessa and that’s it. Friday I went to the Shreveport Postal center witch is the next place it should have gone and showed them a babbitt bar. She took it to the back and said she ask around and no one knows anything. The stuff looks like silver, so it most likely ended up in the trash once they left the pawn shop. My stupid loss. I didn’t insure it for more than the 50$. They tell me I have 60 days to file a claim for the 50 but, if a claim is filed they stop looking for it. USPS !! One more thing the last scan was on Dec 30. But the Postal lady said that, that was a system generated scan not an scan of the package. I did send more Babbitt, over insured it and it got there.

Topic author
CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:56 am

I learned the hard way that paying the USPS for extra insurance is usually a waste of money. Unless the item is brand new and you have a store receipt proving what you paid for it, they won't honor the claim. :(
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

ironhorse
First Name: G.R.
Last Name: Cheshire
MTFCA Number: 29759

Post by ironhorse » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:44 pm

This one thinks any package left on the porch is hers, the UPS guy gives her a treat as he comes in.
haley.jpeg
Do it right or do it over,your choice. Drive like everyone is out to get you!

ChrisB
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Brancaccio
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Roadster 1915 Coupelet 1923 Coupe 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 443
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 23136

Post by ChrisB » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:05 pm

I can't believe no one has posted this yet.

Some engineer type had something stolen and then put a lot of time into this.

Best video ever - karma for parcel thieves
https://youtu.be/xoxhDk-hwuo

Its had 53,767,877 views
Chris Brancaccio
MTFCA Webmaster
MTFCA Forum Admin

George Andreasen
First Name: George
Last Name: Andreasen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 0...building from parts

Post by George Andreasen » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:44 pm

The engineer's approach is effective and amusing..........but it will never take the place of a (select favorite dog breed) with an appetite for ankles!

Ruxstel24

Post by Ruxstel24 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:52 pm

George Andreasen wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:44 pm
The engineer's approach is effective and amusing..........but it will never take the place of a (select favorite dog breed) with an appetite for ankles!
Very true...Petey likes groins !! :shock: :lol:
This is my wallpaper, after he shook the stuffing out of a groundhog.
Attachments
IMG_3580.PNG

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:30 pm

Entertaining video Chris B! I like the cultural reference (names he used).

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:06 am

Unless the item is brand new and you have a store receipt proving what you paid for it, they won't honor the claim.
Exactly correct. They lost the $80 speedometer cable I bought at Hershey. Because it wasn't a new item with a store receipt the insurance was worthless.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic