Valve covers

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Valve covers

Post by Oldav8tor » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:59 am

Does anyone sell or has anyone made silicone valve cover gaskets? You can get them for aircraft and they are nice when you want to be able to remove and reinstall the cover without a lot of hassle. Mine were taken off to get at the valves on a tour a couple of weeks back and I need to install new ones (oil leak.)
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: Valve covers

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:38 am

Tim I have found that using contact cement on the valve cover side holds/seals that paper perfectly. For a good aviation type seal with easy reusing, I use Ultra Black on the paper side pervious attached to the valve cover, then apply a thin film of motor oil on the engine block surfaces. Install and let cure. Before operating, remove the cover again to check for all around contact. I have been using the same gasket/seal for about 15 years now.

All the Best,

Hank

P.S. how are you healing up after that accident last year? Hope well ole man!

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:13 pm

The method I'm using is similar. I made new gaskets of rubberized cork and stuck them to the covers with Ultra Black. Installing them I smeared Ultra Black on the gaskets and greased the block. There were (are?) tiny drips at the stud holes, but no leaks at the gaskets.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:34 pm

Hank and Steve have absolutely nailed it. The only thing I'd add is to only gently tighten the bolts on the covers at first, and then after 24 hours tweek it a little more...you now have an energised seal which will last for years and years and can be easily removed and replaced and will seal just as well again.

Simply make the effort to replace each cover in it's correct respective location, oriented the same as they came off. Believe it or not, they have exact mimics of all defects on the block, and you want all of those fingerprint-type inclusions to be covered by the gasket oriented correctly which will reseal those imperfections perfectly.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:42 pm

Tim,

I presume that you are thinking about the "Real Gaskets" ? I have been using the same set on my Continental C-85 valve covers for almost 20 years and they are truly magic.

I wonder if one could contact the company and just buy a sheet of the silicone material large enough to cut out your own T gaskets ? The only downside to using Real Gaskets on the T side covers would be holding them in position while installing. The instructions tell the user to absolutely install the gaskets dry with no sealant or cement. I have followed their directions religiously and never had any leaks on my C-85. As a matter of fact, I changed out the cylinders on my engine in 2011 and re-used the old gaskets on the new cylinders.

For those not familiar with the product: https://realgaskets.com/

Dick

Dennis_Brown
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster pickup
MTFCA Number: 21458

Post by Dennis_Brown » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:31 pm

I have used a lot of gaskets on diesel engines That come with a red silicone ring on both sides in the contact area. Why couldn't a person spread a small layer of red silicone on one side and let it dry overnight . Then do the other side and let it dry. When you mount it you can grease one side toward the block if you want. May not work but worth a try. I would use a heavy gasket paper instead of cork. You would only need the silicone in the contact areas.

Topic author
Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:44 am

Dick-I've had them on my C85 for over 20 years. Also used them on a big 0-470 and LYC 0-320. No leaks-reused over and over. I think you could get away with gluing one side to the valve cover of a T- I'd just leave the mating surface clean.

I'm going to have to think about this one before proceeding...lots of good suggestions.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic