What do you think about "Build Threads"?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
MWalker
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Walker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Roadster Pickup
MTFCA Number: 314
MTFCA Life Member: YES

What do you think about "Build Threads"?

Post by MWalker » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:31 pm

I participate in another car-related site called the HAMB, aka the Jalopy Journal. One of the features they have is Build Threads. You start your own thread and document the building of a car from start to finish. Obviously, these threads can go on for many months or even years, but the good thing about them is that they have all the info about one car on one thread. You can "follow" any thread you want, which I believe may be a feature of this board. If it's not, that feature probably could be added. That makes it easy to check in on any thread you're interested in and keep up with the progress of any given car.

Here on this forum, the nearest thing we have to that is posting each month on the "What did you do..." threads, but then each car is spread over many very long threads, which makes it difficult to follow if you want to refer to something you saw months ago. With a build thread, it's easy to refer back.

I'm thinking that this type of thread would be especially useful to newbies to the Model T world, because they would have easy access to how things are done on T's. And since each of us does things differently, they would get to see many ways of doing things. Then they could digest what they see and have some ideas on how to proceed with their own builds. And even those of us who have built several cars could get different ideas on how to do things which we may not have thought of. Hopefully this kind of thread wouldn't evolve into a competition, just the sharing of how things are done. Those who do things differently from the way I do them may help me to learn better ways of doing them. And someone who has no idea how to go about doing a task would have several different methods from which to choose. And with our current software, others could comment on our threads as we progress.

I suppose a separate section of the forum could be set up for build threads, but I don't think that's necessary. Just make the title of the thread, "1915 Runabout Build Thread" or whatever is appropriate, and they would be easy to search.

Does anyone else have some thoughts on this idea?

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Re: What do you think about "Build Threads"?

Post by RustyFords » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:58 pm

I've had one going for a while on my 24 Touring.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28&sid=323e7613db97 ... c0215da957

I've always enjoyed them on other forums because it allows you to follow the build on one specific car. When you find a build thread that you really enjoy, it's like finding a series on Netflix that's a few years old, that you like a lot. You can binge on the thing for hours or days.
1924 Touring

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:28 pm

Dallas had one on his TT also, but he's about finished now.
I recall a couple others but not lately. I enjoy them... :D

RustyFords

Post by RustyFords » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:44 pm

Ruxstel24 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:28 pm
Dallas had one on his TT also, but he's about finished now.
I recall a couple others but not lately. I enjoy them... :D
I've enjoyed Dallas' immensely.

Mine will go for at least another couple years. My car is a runner now, but it's far from complete and still needs a lot of "perfecting" and dialing in.
1924 Touring

Doug Keppler
First Name: Douglas
Last Name: Keppler
MTFCA Number: 49716
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Doug Keppler » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:24 pm

I think that is a great idea
1924 Touring car
There's No Substitute for Proper Lubrication

Will_Vanderburg
First Name: William
Last Name: Vanderburg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 28382

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:31 pm

I'm thinking about starting one for my Center Door, and actually linking all my previous threads to that one.

Would make it convenient for me to post in and others to find and read
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

Shane Lach
First Name: Shane
Last Name: Lach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Tudor and 1921 speedster in progress

Post by Shane Lach » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:41 pm

I need to post some progress in mine. I've been trying my best to document my build.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1930&p=38877&hilit= ... ial#p38877

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:52 pm

Mike: I think that is a good idea. I've done it, and I didn't need anyone helping me either, but for a new comer it would be a help, especially if the builder knew what he was doing. Otherwise probably not such a good idea, However, if the builder was open to criticism, I would welcome it.

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:28 pm

I like the idea. Criticism can be a good thing as long as its dished out with tact . I will continue with the TT build till its finished. Going to take a few more months. I like to see others build threads very much. I have been following Don's barn car revival all along.

dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

Post by dobro1956 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:18 pm

I like the "build threads" I started one when I started the speedster project. I have always used the words "speedster project update" for my threads. Its been about a 5 year build time but most folks recognize my threads. I hope to finish it this year. Some of these builds take years, but its fun for me following along with someone else's build. I agree that the words "build thread" added to the title should be a plus. O.S. as to criticism, It just rolls off me like water, but not so much other folks. So please keep the criticism to a minimum and do it with tact. If someone does something that is not good or incorrect it usually gets addressed in the thread. Most times it is good for the thread builder who did something wrong and others who may also do the same thing. Most of the time a incorrect fix or rebuild is stopped before it could cause someone problems. And if it is approached in a tactful manner everyone benefits. After all we are not all "restoration gods" or "model T Guru's"

Here is one of my many threads with "speedster project update" in the title. Just add the words and letters, Donnie brown mtfca . to .. speedster project update and do a google search. You will find more of the updates than you may want to read :) :lol: :)

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/70 ... 1487043839
Last edited by dobro1956 on Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:23 pm

Never too many updates Donnie!

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:15 am

Obviously, some of you guys have it figured out already!
I think it might be a nice suggestion for Chris or Jeff to add something about "A build thread" if they wish to/are able to for newbies and the oldster's too in the instructions to post. Something like: "Have a build thread?" Try this:...
Build time for my 18 would be very extended if in one spot and not disjointed all over the forum as it is. :)
I'm doing that, since August of last year, in another world on 5 VERY OT yet closely related subjects (pun not intended) and it's gonna get complicated worse with the 6th and final project/subject being introduced perhaps next year. I have my reasons there. My aim? (not GOAL. That's a new age "twisted" term!) A complete set of OT OT OT OT OT OT's.
I asked a nice fellow (a mod over there that relaxes over here) in the other world, if I should separate them?...
He replied: Leave it all in one place........ OK. :)
It's gonna take awhile but number two (OT) must be running next summer...
But I try to share info/small details/learning/tips on how I did it/details sometimes lost to time/part numbers and fellowship.
LOVE ALL the build threads here! There's info stacked into these threads on more subjects than you can shake a stick at.
:)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

It's Bill
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Hoffer
MTFCA Number: 32571
MTFCI Number: 24364
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by It's Bill » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:05 am

Great idea! Any time you can organize information and make it easier to retrieve pays off in the future. Perhaps even older project postings could be aggregated into the build thread section? Google searching mtfca is very helpful, but having a list of project threads on this website would facilitate browsing on rainy days or doing research after a specific dream car is purchased.

Not trying to make a bunch of work for our superb administration people, but perhaps they could chip away at this as time allows?

My 2 cents. Cheers, Bill

mvweaver
First Name: Matthew
Last Name: Weaver
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 Model TT flatbed and 27 Model TT dump

Post by mvweaver » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:39 am

They are a great idea and on some of the other forums I participate in, they actually have a sub-forum where these build threads are so that they don't get mixed into the everyday Q&A technical posts. That seems to work out pretty good, because you can search/sort through them pretty quickly. Even can be broken down further into either body, year, or styles of builds. Say for instance a Builds Sub-Forum with a Speedster Section, TT Section and so forth. Just a thought, but they are nice to have. - Matt

RustyFords

Post by RustyFords » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:55 pm

Original Smith wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:52 pm
... if the builder was open to criticism, I would welcome it.
Criticism is like cilantro, a tiny little bit of it goes a long way and it’s never good served by itself. It’s always best served combined with other things.
1924 Touring

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic