Whoops .. foot got stuck

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Whoops .. foot got stuck

Post by Mark Osterman » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:50 pm

Was out in the T with my wife this evening and we stopped for dinner. Left her off to get a table and as I was backing into the parking space my foot got stuck between the reverse pedal and under the brake pedal. I turned off the engine and grabbed the emergency brake .. but the passenger side fender connected with a concrete wall. The wall won.

I got out .. gave the fender a strong upward tug and brought it back in line. Guess I need to bolt on one of the reverse pedal extenders.

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Whoops .. foot got stuck

Post by Oldav8tor » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:20 pm

I'm size 14 EEEE - three days after I started driving my T I ordered a reverse extender (I already had extenders for the others). No regrets :-)
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:42 am

The reverse pedal extender works well with my size 13 foot. Especially when backing into a tight space. Well worth having!

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:19 am

Sorry to hear that. Those things happen! A different pair of shoes may have helped. I hope you are able to repair your fender.

Mark Gregush
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:06 am

I only have 9-1/2 narrow and depending on what shoes I have on, have had that happen(shoe getting stuck under the low). One was a close call the others not so much.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
Mark Osterman

Post by Mark Osterman » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:31 pm

The fender is fine ... pulled easily back in place. Installed this ... this morning.
Attachments
7FA595FE-FFE0-48CB-A386-8874F0569C22.jpeg

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:31 pm

I know that this is after the fact, but I am thinking that pushing forward on the lever might have helped. One thing would be that high gear is a forward gear which would cancel the reverse and kill the engine and at the same time would release the low pedal from the neutral position allowing you to remove your foot from under the pedal.
Norm

Jugster
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Coiro
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring
Board Member Since: 2009

Post by Jugster » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:49 pm

The Model T Ford is an ergonomic nightmare. At 5'11", I'm of average height, but the driver's seat of my brass-accoutremented pride and joy is so far forward, I ride with my knees high, the steering wheel rubbing my thighs and all my weight on my tailbone. If only the front settee could have been set three or four inches further aft. It's easy to arrive at the cognition that not too long ago, people were smaller.

The spacing of the pedals and brake lever leave little space for average size tootsies and I've gotten my shoe-laces caught in the pedals enough times to remember to tuck them in prior to climbing aboard. Manifestly, the terrible treadle trio was designed to be operated by a barefoot chimp and my allegedly human feet do occasionally have maladroit difficulty playing the necessary game of 3-card Monty with the stupid pedals.

To avoid having to lean too far forward while driving, I've added an extension to the brake/up-shift lever. Though an improvement, when the parking brake is set, the extension makes it a little difficult to get my heel on the starter button—which for reasons unfathomable, then becomes readily available to accidentally activate the starter any time the engine is running. Of course, the hilarious location of the parking brake lever made preposterous the installation of an actual driver's-side door, so just for show is the faux door. Driver egress, consequently, requires the disembarkation of the front passenger.

The "Two-Man-Top," by inference of its name, tells you all you need to know about what happens to an infelicitous, unaccompanied individual who gets caught in the rain with the top down. Even with two people aboard to facilitate deployment, such actual performance requires the interpersonal coordination of trapeze artists.

Now, most people have their heads attached to their necks, so one cannot help but wonder what sort of creature Henry had in mind when he mounted the already difficult-to-read speedometer at the feet of the front passenger.

Unrelated to actual driving, but a prerequisite thereof, would be accessing the twist-type oilers on the rear spring shackles. This undertaking requires such serpentine plasticity as to helically incurvate one's upper body around the rear axle and take a grease shampoo in order to see where to insert the oil-can spout.

My lengthy association with airplanes and crazy people has resulted in my becoming a devout pyrophobe, so when the car is parked in the attached garage below my bedroom, turning the fuel off at the carburetor will not suffice. Nay, I must lay down on my back, reach across, stain the front of my shirt and turn off the fuel at the tank. When my wife witnesses this enactment, she is sure to remark, "If you can do that, why can't you___________________?" (Fill in the blank with your least favorite, physical household chore) My answer to that is, "Hey, even a dead man can lie down."

With all of the preceding, the farcical truth is that among brass cars, the Model T Ford is the easiest to operate. I'd shake my head at that apprehension were not my neck aching from the perilous contortion of reading the aforementioned speedo.

Jeff Hood
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Hood
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring, 1923 Fordor, 1924 Martin Parry Canopy Express, 1925 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 25636

Post by Jeff Hood » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:57 pm

You will not regret having the pedal extender. It makes reversing so much easier. Additionally, when backing up, I always pull the handbrake lever to neutral and use the left foot for reverse and keep the right foot on the brake. You can quickly apply the brake if necessary without the delay of moving from the reverse pedal to the brake pedal. And if your reverse foot is stuck between pedals, you can still stomp the brake with your right foot.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:03 pm

I have to say that my 21 Touring is a tighter fit when it comes to driving and being comfortable. I had to move the horn button all the way to top of the column to keep my knee from hitting it when I use the low pedal. I’m 6’3” and not having much leg room using the reverse pedal with the extension makes the pedal a little more easy to use.
My 24 Coupe sure seems it’s a little roomier. It has the reverse pedal extension also.

If OSHA was around in the T era it probably would have given Ford a bad grade in passenger comfort and driver friendly design.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:05 pm

I have been spoiled with my 26 drivetrain.
I road with my friend in his 24 RPU and had forgotten how close the pedals are.
2 words....cowboy boots !! You know, the pointy toed corner cockroach killers... ;)

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:25 pm

The amount of padding in the seat and backrest makes a big difference. I have a 26 Roadster and a 26 Touring which have the same dimensions for the front seat, but the touring has much more padding and makes me closer to the wheel and pedals. I have a friend who is over 6' tall who has a 27 touring and he has removed some of the padding and also tilted his seat back. The base of the seat is in the standard location, but he leans farther back. He needs to do this to see through the windshield when the top is up.
I realize this has strayed from the problem with the feet stuck, but I think it might be one way to get a little more room and also the reverse extension is a good idea.
Norm

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:51 pm

Ruxstel24 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:05 pm
2 words....cowboy boots !! . . .
Not these ! (Don't forget to take your Spurs off) :roll:
Attachments
image.jpg
"Get a horse !"

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:18 pm

Rich Bingham wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:51 pm
Ruxstel24 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:05 pm
2 words....cowboy boots !! . . .
Not these ! (Don't forget to take your Spurs off) :roll:
Nope, not those...the pointy toes with the spike heels...you can work reverse with a heel or toe !! :lol:
Attachments
IMG_4536.JPG

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:08 am

Thes work great for me, and keep your feet cool with the open toe ... :lol:
Attachments
image.png
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Loftfield
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Loftfield
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring, 1912 Express Pick-up
MTFCA Number: 49876
MTFCI Number: 24725

Post by Loftfield » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:14 am

In response to Jugster's comment about the T being easiest to drive. He is correct. I always tell folks that the Model T is easy to drive if you have five appendages, but that the 1910 Buick Model 10 that I drive requires six.

FreighTer Jim
First Name: James
Last Name: Jarzabek
MTFCA Number: 29562
MTFCI Number: 24398
Board Member Since: 2008

At first glance

Post by FreighTer Jim » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:14 am

Kaiser,

At first glance - I was sure Burger had posted.

I think these shorts are a perfect accompaniment to your shoes of choice ...
for “ Cool Summer Driving “ ..... ;)

FJ

42BD617F-FEAD-4414-AC57-990750A2C8F6.jpeg
Google “ Model T Transport “
MTFCA - MTFCI - MAFCA Member

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:33 am

Who would have thought you could turn your T into a "Babe magnet" just by dressing the part !
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:50 am

:lol: You guys.... :)

Mark, how is the pedal extension working. OK? I should too.
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Topic author
Mark Osterman

Post by Mark Osterman » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:55 am

Well, it’s not as useful as I expected. Seems like another inch longer would be better. Of course I have those pads on the other pedals, so, maybe I need to remove them. In regards to the previous post of a T being a “chic magnet” .... my wife has said “my T was a chic magnet ... but all the chics are 90 years old.”

Will_Vanderburg
First Name: William
Last Name: Vanderburg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 28382

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:06 pm

You can get pedal extensions for the other two that resemble 26-27 pedals
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic