How often do you clean your New Day timer

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

How often do you clean your New Day timer

Post by Mark Osterman » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:42 pm

I was wondering how often others who run with a New Day timer clean them out. I remove mine about every 500 miles and brighten up the contacts with a Scotch-Brite pad and then wipe the insides clean with a cloth dampened with alcohol. Takes about five minutes and the engine likes it a lot. I have an original brush and am wondering how much longer it will work as nicely as it has. Will be looking for replacements at Hershey.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Re: How often do you clean your New Day timer

Post by John kuehn » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:48 pm

As far as the New Day Timer brush goes I bought one of the repo’s and it works fine. I bought it to go with one of the 3 New Days I got at Chickasha a few years ago. It’s the one on my 21 Touring. I think it’s a good simple timer that does a great job.
I wipe mine out and use just a touch of lite oil for lubrication. Yes I know on the case it says it needs no oiling as I remember. My Father would put Vaseline in his when he had a 26 in the 30’s.

Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Post by Erik Barrett » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:21 pm

I have one of the old manufacture New Day timers on my dump truck. The one that says “No oiling”. I go for years at a time without touching it. I have a modern seal on the camshaft so that helps keep it clean.

Topic author
Mark Osterman

Post by Mark Osterman » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:40 pm

When I clean mine I often see brown dust from the case and also some of the brush and/or contacts in the case. I’m thinking that your dump truck might not get the kind of performance required for daily driving and road speeds needed to keep up with city driving so it’s not so important.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:06 am

I clean mine out about every three years. I've never really kept track of it.

Terry_007
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Bond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1915 Chassis
MTFCI Number: 15718

Post by Terry_007 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:56 am

I clean the spare under the back seat every couple of years. It does get some oxidation on the contacts.

The one on the car I cleaned a couple of years ago when I had the engine out to rebuild the transmission. I checked it this spring before our square car tour and it didn't need anything. That timer has been on the car for at least six years now and shows very little wear.

I do carry a spare ball-point pen too as the little spring inside can be cut in half to replace the one in the timer if needed.

A New Day is a set-it and forget-it item apparently. I do like to peek inside in the spring annually just to be sure it's all still there.

Just did a weekend tour here and it ran like a champ with about 50% free-starts during the day.
Terry

Topic author
Mark Osterman

Post by Mark Osterman » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:28 pm

Mine is an original with an original brush and runs great. Curious that one else finds dust inside when they remove it. Maybe the spring is too strong on mine.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic