CAR SHOW SPECTATOR DAMAGE

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Professor Fate
First Name: Dan
Last Name: S
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 and '26
Board Member Since: 2015

CAR SHOW SPECTATOR DAMAGE

Post by Professor Fate » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:04 pm

Ever been to a car show where a spectator runs into your car with a baby carriage, scrapes it somehow, or otherwise does damage???
today I had some oblivious dimwit walk into my touring car with a birdfeeder. Chipped my 60 year old still very nice laquer paint job. All because he was preoccupied by talking on his cell phone...."Hang up and walk!" i can fix the car, but you can't fix stupid.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: CAR SHOW SPECTATOR DAMAGE

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:16 pm

I’m afraid there’s a strong possibility he would have been wearing a bird feeder for a hat !! :evil: :lol:
People’s preoccupation with their cell phone self absorption is pathetic. The guy probably texts and drives too.
Sorry bout your paint.

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:18 pm

I left that mindset at the door, when I stepped into the Model T world. Before,
my 50's - 60's cars required a fussiness level that wore me out. You are correct,
the world is full of idiots. As a result, I do not do car shows, and I have a vehicle
where scrapes and dings are part of the character and pleasure of ownership. I
am done with plexing about morons and scratches. I enjoy the old car hobby SO
much more, now that I gave up being part of the normal old car hobby paradigm.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Topic author
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:01 pm

I enjoy taking my T out on the local backroads and just coming back home. I don't like taking it somewhere and walking away from it for dinner or something else. I am always happy to answer questions, give rides, or demonstrate any aspect of the car until someone's curiosity is satiated. I always want to promote T's and the old car hobby. But one's car should not have to suffer damage in that process.
"The car show is out in the garage...."

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:12 am

Other than OCF, I don't do car shows. I have too much clutter already, so I don't want any plaques or trophies. I'm not interested in sitting around all day paying to have people look at my car. I'd rather be out driving it. Wherever I go, I am my own parade, and wherever I stop, I am my own car show. That's good enough for me.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

FreighTer Jim
First Name: James
Last Name: Jarzabek
MTFCA Number: 29562
MTFCI Number: 24398
Board Member Since: 2008

Don’t Go

Post by FreighTer Jim » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:30 am

Don’t go to a car show with a vehicle unless you are willing to risk damage to your vehicle.

Don’t drive it on a public road - take it to the market or breakfast or on tours where you will be in contact with the Public .... :idea:

Problem Solved

FJ
Google “ Model T Transport “
MTFCA - MTFCI - MAFCA Member

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:04 am

Looks like that paint chip landed on your shoulder. If you don't show it or drive it then don't question why the value of your T is dropping and suppliers and manufacturers are pulling out of "the hobby". :twisted: If Henry didn't expect the paint to chip he wouldn't have painted them in the first place. :roll:
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Jugster
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Coiro
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring
Board Member Since: 2009

Post by Jugster » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:09 am

I've seen car-show spectators do the darndest things. The first and most memorable incident took place at the annual AACA show at Westbury Gardens. This is the show that many very serious award-winning competitors attend and their cars are either restored to almost unattainable standards or carefully preserved in a very fragile state of originality. One such beauty was a gorgeous 1910 or 11 White Touring. Oh, this car had more brass than a West Point class reunion and it was all original including the century-old, diamond-tufted leather upholstery. While the owner was out of sight of his car, some female spectator ducked under the barrier ropes, climbed up through the car's gear-shift and brake levers, sat in the driver's seat and started honking the dry-rotted bulb horn while her boyfriend snapped photos of her. The owner, alerted by the car's distress calls, came a-running and chased the spectators away—but not before the horn's bulb had cracked and shed flakes of dried out rubber all over the car's running-board. It was a disgraceful display.

Years later, when I had volunteered to make an appearance with my Model T at a local public school, some of the kids—all of whom were supposed to be supervised by teachers—climbed up the spokes of my rear wheel to get into the back seat. Another little monster was twisting my steering wheel back and forth with such force that after returing home, I needed to disconnect the pitman arm, pull the steering shaft out of the column and make repairs.

Now, I like to do the "Spectators and Funny Hats" thing with families at car-shows and for the most part, the parents are careful to make sure their kids treat the car with respect. A little wear & tear goes with the territory, but nobody should have to sustain the kind of damage that requires mechanical repair. Unfortunately, there's no shortage of the kind of dingbat who chipped your paint job. It's just a damned shame such people can get away with this kind of thoughtless behavior.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:59 am

One way to keep people from touching your car is to put a sign on it -
Looking at the car - Free
Touching the car - $10
Hand Cranking - $50 each try
Sitting in the car - $100 person/minute
NOTE: I'm watching you now.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Loftfield
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Loftfield
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring, 1912 Express Pick-up
MTFCA Number: 49876
MTFCI Number: 24725

Post by Loftfield » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:48 am

The comments on this thread run the gamut from "if you even look at my car cross-eyed I will have to kill you" to "These cars got their first paint chip the day they drove off the lot, so just enjoy them". If your car is a museum piece, a 1910 whatever with original paint, upholstery and dry rotted horn bulb, then maybe it ought to be in a museum. If you spent $100,000 on a restoration back to better than the car was when it came off the line then you certainly don't want the unwashed public coming anywhere near your baby. My preference is in the middle. My cars are kept as original as possible, but I want to enjoy them so I live with some chips in the paint, I encourage the youngsters to climb up on the running board and squeeze the horn bulb, and in controlled circumstances I let folks sit in them for the photo-op. After a bit, the car shows become boring, especially when you are the only brass car in a vast sea of 1970's and 1980's Detroit sheet metal, often with chrome hanging out all around the engine compartment. When attending shows we stay close, more to answer questions than from fear of damage, but the preference is always for driving, parades, and Heritage Day type events where we fit in better.

Bobbbenner
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Benner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT 1924, touring 22
MTFCA Number: 52622

Post by Bobbbenner » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:34 am

I’m going to my first car meet today! Have no idea what it will be like. My friend and often accountant, invited me after seeing me driving around our parking lot, then stopping in to see what I was working on. He has a Cadillac convertible that is in perfect shape as it was brought back to showcase condition in Las Vegas, (it was featured on one of those cable shows as it was worked on as it was bought by his father when new). I am pretty sure that he liked my TT as much as that caddie when we talked about my project. In that conversation he begged me to bring it to his show today. Sure, I said as he is a great guy and I love new experiences.
My truck is slowly being brought back to usefulness and should make the short hop to his front strip of grass filled with farm stuff and driven by a needle felted replica of my wife! I’ll let you know what it was like. Pics below
Attachments
B9789621-4556-4F4D-A086-D7A272D1030D.jpeg
FB2E81D6-A7F8-4A6E-B484-DB7202226A84.jpeg

rosenkranswa
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Rosenkrans
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touriing
MTFCI Number: 22021

Post by rosenkranswa » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:41 am

We take several of our cars to the local Middle School every year to do a program on Henry Ford and the rise of the auto industry and road system. The crowd is the whole 5th grade class plus a dozen teachers/others. In 10 years of doing this we have never had a single incident with the kids and cars - quite the opposite. Lots of good questions and respect for the history the cars represent. Never had a problem at car shows either.

We also do WWII reenacting with our Jeep and '42 Ford and have made an interesting observation which has been confirmed by many of the other reenactors and warbird flight crews - if the event has an admission fee, there are rarely any issues; if the event is free, then all bets are off.

FreighTer Jim
First Name: James
Last Name: Jarzabek
MTFCA Number: 29562
MTFCI Number: 24398
Board Member Since: 2008

Old Folks

Post by FreighTer Jim » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:21 pm

About (10) years ago I was selling a vehicle at the Springfield Swap Meet & Car Show in Ohio.

I didn’t know the guy next to me - he had a decent car for sale - he wasn’t with the car.

Two older couples walk by - window shopping.

One couple doesn’t even bother to ask me - husband pops the hood - wife sits in the car.

Then the husband opens the driver door & starts wrenching it ..... HARD ..... up and down.

I jumped out of my chair & yelled at them both.

Told her to get out of the car - told him to get his f&ck:ng hands off the car.

They both looked surprised .... :shock:

The husband asked me if it was my car.

I said no - but no way am I gonna sit there and have that go on to anyone’s vehicle ... :evil:

They scurried away ... :arrow:

FJ
Google “ Model T Transport “
MTFCA - MTFCI - MAFCA Member

RichardG
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Grzegorowicz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 T pickup

Post by RichardG » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:40 pm

KILL----WAS MY FEELING--- I HAD A 34 PLYMOUTH PE, THE HEAD LIGHTS ARE NOT YOUR AVRIGE LENZ HE WAS TAKING PICTURES SOME HOW THE CAMERA GOT AWAY FROM HIM HIT THE HEAD LITE AND BROKE THE LENZ ,HE GAVE ME HIS ADDRESS SO I COULD SEND HIM THE BILL, WHEN I FOUND A LENZ IT WAS 110 DOLLARS, AND A MONTH. HIS ADDRESS WAS FAKE--SO WAS HIS NAME--SO ASK TO SEE HIS LICENSE, DON'T RELY ON TRUTH OUT OF HIS MOUTH.

RichardG
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Grzegorowicz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 T pickup

Post by RichardG » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:56 pm

I SEE A SIGN AT A SHOW IN VA, IT READ I LOVE MY CAR AS I DO MY WIFE--TOUCH ETHER ONE AND YOU WILL NEVER BE HEARD FROM AGAIN; ANOTHER NEAT SIGN, NO TOOLS TO LEND, ID RATHER LOAN YOU MY WIFE,I KNOW YOU WILL BRING HER BACK..

Tom Hicks
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:47 am

T owners seem to be a cranky bunch who love to complain about others, guess that makes them superior? It also helps to run down the value of T's, who would want to associate with them?

I have been to a few car shows, WalMart, Kroger, the gym, the bank, HD the post office, most of my daily driving is in a T. I have given hundreds of people rides, mostly parents with children. And even more, on invitation, have jumped in the front seat to have their picture taken. To me, being polite and talking with people is part of owning a T. I have yet to have someone be rude or damage one of my vehicles.

BUT, I DO not own a T that is really nice cosmetically. If I did I would not drive it, that is why I don't.

At C&C every other weekend there are generally over 300 cars, usually at least one Lamborghini and one Ferrari, and everything from beat up working drift cars to immaculately restored cars form the 50's and 60's, plus a lot of later model stuff, pick ups, etc. Interesting foreign stuff too. Everyone seems to know that you don't touch the cars. Maybe that is just Richmond, in other areas of the country people just lack manners and common sense? Some of these cars have a LOT of dollar value, some very little, but all the owners have one thing in common, they love cars.

No T's though at C&C though, except what I bring and encourage people, especially children, to get their picture taken in. And blow the horns. And when the crowd thins so I can safely drive I give rides, mostly to families.

And I have met some nice T owners who do not bring their cars. They like the show, but their cars are not drivers. Or need a lot of work. Or whatever. They are interesting to talk with, many are a wealth of knowledge.

And gear heads who are interested in how the pedals work, and Warford, and Ruckstell, and four buzz coils with a timer. These guys know cars, they just have not seen a Model T, but they pick up real fast on mechanical stuff.

And children. Children love cars, especially ones they CAN touch.

Car shows are a form of sharing, allowing others to see what is available, having a good time.

I have read of others on this forum who like to give those who ask basic questions a hard time. "What year is it?", is not an ignorant question, it is a basic conversation starter. If you are looking to be rude and use this question to talk about how you are the original owner etc, you are just showing yourself to be rude. And you are giving the hobby a bad name.

So I guess it is a good thing there are no T's, we don't need a bunch of crabby curmudgeons giving the hobby a bad name. If you don't like people, please do not take your T to a car show!
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Hal
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Hal » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:10 am

I went to a MAFCA/MARC meet once. A guy there had a very nice Model A panel truck. He thought so much of it, he had it roped off with the fancy velvet "ropes" about 2 inches in diameter like you see in museums or theaters. Only thing is, he didn't spring for the nice metal posts with gradually tapered and weighted bases. He instead constructed some out of 1x4's. The 'legs' were just cross crossed 1x4's extending about a foot in all 4 directions. I tripped over one and nearly caused it (or another one) to fall into his truck. It didn't. I was glad. I was also very embarrassed, but after the tongue lashing this guy gave me, I was pissed. First off, even without the rope, I would never have gotten close enough to touch his truck. Second off, I had only walked up to the barrier he had in place. I wasn't leaning over it or anything like that. I never even touched the ropes. What I did was trip over what any OSHA inspector or company safety officer would clearly identify as a trip hazard. Frankly, at least in MY case, the problem was caused by HIM, not ME.

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:52 am

Steve Jelf wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:12 am
Other than OCF, I don't do car shows. I have too much clutter already, so I don't want any plaques or trophies. I'm not interested in sitting around all day paying to have people look at my car. I'd rather be out driving it. Wherever I go, I am my own parade, and wherever I stop, I am my own car show. That's good enough for me.
Well said.
1924 Touring

RustyFords

Post by RustyFords » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:04 am

Burger in Spokane wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:18 pm
I left that mindset at the door, when I stepped into the Model T world. Before,
my 50's - 60's cars required a fussiness level that wore me out. You are correct,
the world is full of idiots. As a result, I do not do car shows, and I have a vehicle
where scrapes and dings are part of the character and pleasure of ownership. I
am done with plexing about morons and scratches. I enjoy the old car hobby SO
much more, now that I gave up being part of the normal old car hobby paradigm.
I couldn't agree more. In the past I've had the perfect cars...mostly from the 50's. I just got tired of the whole grind. It's almost like you're not in a hobby anymore, but a job.

My two current old cars in driving condition (my T and my 66 F100) are nicely patinated, solid old girls with worn original paint. If someone scratched either one of them at a car gathering, you'd probably have to show me where the new scratch was, especially on the T.

I want people to sit in them. I don't want trophies or an "expert" to judge my car. I want to drive them as much as possible, preferably with other old cars...to a destination...like out to the lake to get a burger, etc.

The 54 Ford tudor that I've had since high school is about to get a nice paint job but I'm fully prepared for it to get dinged up and a good amount of road rash because I intend to drive the hell out of it.

I'm glad the days of perfection juding in the old car world seem to be waning. How many countless extremely solid orginal paint Model A's were ruined because of the over-restoration culture that rules the Model A world. Fortunately the T world tends to have more folks who seek to protect the survivors.
1924 Touring

Tom Hicks
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:48 am

Most of the shows in the Richmond area are not judged. I think they call them "cruise ins". No charge, no judges, no trophies. Just car guys with their cars, and people out to see the cars. Even then, many T guys don't seem to like them, too hot, or too much asphalt, they have seen it all, or whatever excuse. Lots of mamby pambys out there.

But then mine are drivers, not show cars, so I don't have to worry about leaving them in a Wal Mart parking lot, or taking them to a show. If I had a nice T I would do neither.
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:16 am

I have a neighbor who is a great guy and is into classic cars. He and his friends have built some super nice pickups and cars in the 50’s and 60’s. He takes his cars or pickup to car shows and has a good time I’m sure. The pickup he restored he’s driven maybe 2 or3 times a few miles and he’s back home in 15-20 minutes. When he gets home he immediately wipes it down and it goes back into his garage. That’s his hobby and I have nothing against him.
Since some of you guys go to car shows is there any that deal with specifically old cars that are just that? Daily drivers that haven’t been made to look like jewels in a jewelry box?
Just cars that are driven with a few nicks and such?
I guess you could call this type daily or occasional drivers.

The last classic car show I went to a few months ago was pretty much like the ones in earlier posts. You had better not touch or get to close. When you walk up to the car you get the death stare. So so much for that. I think I will happy and just be a good daily driver type.
MHO

Topic author
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:46 am

And I quote: "T owners seem to be a cranky bunch who love to complain about others, guess that makes them superior? It also helps to run down the value of T's, who would want to associate with them?"

Since I am a T owner, this quote supposedly speaks about me. I could not disagree more to the above statement and the assertions contained therein. The quote is the product of a severely flawed thought process.

When one brings a car out and the public has unrestrained access, one should be able to expect to not incur damage by a pedestrian, negligently swinging a metal birdfeeder about as he held his cell phone to his ear, engaged in deep conversation, whilst looking skyward.
The quote asserts that to raise issue over having your car damaged is somehow improper, and that the mere raising of the issue is somehow related to some form of superiority complex.
As if that's not enough, apparently I am now singularly responsible for crashing the values of our cars because I spoke up and maybe saved someone else from damage in the future by this cellphone distracted wallflower.
And by the last line of the quote, one that complains after suffering pedestrian damage becomes undesirable socially.
ARE YOU FOR REAL???
A car owner has a right and expectation to not be damaged by the irresponsible and deftly ignorant. By the logic of the quote, it would be a fine thing to hand out ball peen hammers at car shows to the spectators to indiscriminately and randomly smash the vehicles on display, and the car owners to be jerks or "cranky" for voicing outrage at senselessly having their cars trashed......
OUTRAGEOUS!

RustyFords

Post by RustyFords » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:58 am

Professor Fate wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:46 am
When one brings a car out and the public has unrestrained access, one should be able to expect to not incur damage by a pedestrian, negligently swinging a metal birdfeeder about as he held his cell phone to his ear, engaged in deep conversation, whilst looking skyward.
Very true.

While I don't mind an occasional scratch and I do encourage people to sit in my cars, a dolt doing swinging a metal object while not paying attention and walking through a bunch of old cars is pretty stupid and selfish.
1924 Touring

Topic author
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:03 am

Thanks RUSTYFORDS!

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:01 pm

If you take your car to a show or tour, and don't want it dinged/scrathced/etc., then never leave its side.

The bird cage incident was just negligent from the airhead on his phone... you either suck it up as oart and parcel of showing your car, and get it fixed, or get the license of the damager and send him the bill.

Most people, given the chance, will waffle out of making good their damage. Sad, but it's the current state of affairs. They'll tell you "Oh gee, I'm so sorry, send me the bill" to your face, then as they walk away will tell their friend "Man, I sure escaped that one - it could have costed me thousands. Quick, lets get outta here..."

Seen it too many times.

There was a friend of mine who had a separate "exclusion" rope around their car... they had weaved in an electric fence rope, and had it hooked to a power source...

Since no one was supposed to go thru the show's rope, anyone following the rules was fine. Those who felt themselves above the rules... well... let's just say the result was rather "shocking".

mike atkins
First Name: mike
Last Name: atkins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 roadster, 1926 tudor sedan

Post by mike atkins » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:01 pm

No body has respect for other peoples cars. When I grew up my dad always said look but don't touch and be aware anything that could scratch the paint.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic