Missing Model A post?

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Missing Model A post?

Post by DHort » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:44 pm

HeyBud. I would like to see your post on the Model A if you dont mind. Might be interesting. I never use that OT section anyway.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Missing Model A post?

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:04 pm

No comments from me (now?). Just a link to Bud's previous post.

https://mtfca.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7708

Tim Rogers
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Rogers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe & 1923 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by Tim Rogers » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:31 pm

Yeah, you won't see anything regarding Model As here- after all they have nothing in common with the Model T. Completely unrelated- there was a vacuum between the end of the T and the start of the A. Totally different world when the A was introduced- it was like the T never happened. So therefore folks who have Ts and As are relegated to "Off Topic". :D
<o><o><o><o> Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks - Forum member since 2013 <o><o><o><o>

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:02 pm

Another owner of both a Model T and a Model A here.

I think looking at the evolution is fascinating. The N, R, S cars are fascinating precursors to the T. Then looking at the evolution of the T family, one is not particularly surprised by the A. Through them all, we are looking at the early evolution of machine powered, personal transportation. Early T's are as much different from late T's as late T's are from the A's. They're all a long term reflection of technical developments, infrastructure development, and societal change.

Owning a Model A has helped me to better understand the T, and vice versa. From that standpoint, I think posts about Model A's are, at least, a closely related topic

Dick

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:49 am

A's are like a parallel universe to this world :lol: :lol:
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by 2nighthawks » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:28 am

Tim Rogers - Well, not to be "argumentative", but,....the Model A had "nothing in common with the Model T",....."completely unrelated",.....REALLY??? Can't quite agree there Tim:

Comparing the Model A with the "new improved" '26 and '27 Model T,....how about the cowl tank with gravity feed and STILL no fuel pump? Then there were the transverse leaf springs, front & rear, and the completely enclosed torque tube drive with just the one universal joint, three-point engine mount, flexible riveted frame, plus many other smaller details like the combination choke and carb adjustment linkage, and, in fact, it's not really recommended, but quite a few Model T folks use Model A front wheel bearings in their Model T because they're not threaded, and therefore cheaper, and they seem to fit and work just fine, and several other small details that I can't think of right now......

Don't get me wrong here, in fact, I own four Model T's and one Model A, so I guess it's obvious where most of my interest is, but (....and many Model T guys won't admit this) but there is no question in my mind that as far as design and engineering, the Model A really is a better car than the Model T in my opinion, and it just makes sense, because many automotive engineering things were learned during the 19 years of the Model T, right? But I just like the fact that IMHO, owning Model T's is just like owning a piece of American history, right?

But let's face it (again, just my opinion) but I believe that Henry Ford was (and this is a good thing, because HF really did "put the world on wheels"),....he was obsessed with building the Model T as cheaply as possible but with very good materials and as much reliability as he could design while keeping the price as low as possible! And also, something that I think enters into all of this is that I don't think HF wanted to get (anymore than he had to) involved with patent laws, and royalties, and all that either! A good example of that (besides the complicated Model T ignition system buried deep within the engine) and also the transverse "buggy springs" that actually lasted thru' 1948, until independent coil spring front suspension appeared on the '49 "shoebox" Ford. (....ahhh,....Henry Ford died in 1947,....hmmm,.....)

Anyway, I could let this become a "rant" here, but I won't,....it's just that I don't understand why so many Model T guys absolutely "HATE" Model A Fords! I like all the early Fords, up to and including the last flathead V8" in 1953! Like was stated earlier in this thread, it's interesting to study the engineering advances during (and right after) Henry Fords life ,....FWIW,.....harold

BobD
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Doris
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout, 1930 Sport Coupe
MTFCA Number: 32538
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by BobD » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:45 am

2nighthawks wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:28 am
and several other small details that I can't think of right now……
A couple of other details I can think of, The doors on the ’28/’29 pickups, the similarity of the Model A wire wheels to the ’26/’27 T wire wheels.

I owned a 1929 Model A back when I was in high school and I share my observations with Harold per the similarities and evolution of the Model T to the Model A.

One thing I have a hard time wrapping my head around is why didn’t Henry go with the “single spark system” when the starter cars came out in 1919? Think of the savings in cost of materials and labor. Only one coil, one set of points, ease of serviceability, not to mention the parts in the flywheel magneto assembly. What am I missing? :?: :?:

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:28 pm

I have no use for Model A's. I have no interest in the Improved T's either. What
makes T's interesting to me is the purity in which Henry Ford tossed his ultra-frugality
at the 09-25 cars, and the look they have as a result. When nickel trim and smoother,
"styled" cowls and fenders came into the mix, ... well, I just don't find them as cool
and interesting.

That's not to say post-25 Fords don't have their place. I just consider the 09-25 cars
to be the pure vision of Henry Ford, unaffected by "fashionable" styling, go-fast performance
concerns, or anything besides being a basic, honest, and reliable car at the lowest possible
price. If I were to really put it plain, I really don't have much use for the cars. It's the
TT's and pickups that interest me. That is what I found in neighbors' barns and hedgerows.
It is both a nostalgic connection for me, and one of usefulness. I use my TT to haul ANYTHING
heavy and bulky. To do it in a vision straight out of the Grapes of Wrath, and to see the
smiles it puts on faces wherever I take it, .... it is in part the fun of driving an adult-size
go-kart, part the joy it brings to others, and for those that think a little deeper, it is representative
of Henry's ultra-frugality that America has dumped for trendy and fashionable and convenience.
The pre-Improved T's are none of those things, and for this reason, the twain shall never meet
in my head. Like chickens and eggs .... close and related, but entirely different.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:48 pm

In my previous "just trying to be helpful" post above, I said "No comments from me (now?). Just a link to Bud's previous post."

Maybe "now" I will comment.
I had wondered why I didn't see this thread for a day or so where it began. Now I find it here, religated to "OT".

I suspect that Tim Rogers was demonstrating absurdity by being absurd. Something that he is quite good at, and a trait I personally admire (what with my twisted sense of humor sometimes going in similar directions).
I can't imagine that the site administrators would take it upon themselves to move either of these threads. They are relevant to the model T, its history, and its preservation. Why move it? I suspect (however have no inside information?) that these threads were moved because someone complained about them. I find that quite sad.
This forum is the best place on the interweb for me. It encompasses a lot of what I most enjoy, and provides me with an outlet, a connection with people of similar interests, while I am trapped at home caring for some family. (And please, at this time, no personal messages on that subject.)
It saddens me that a few too many others here cannot abide by views that mostly agree with theirs, however come from a different vantage. People we (mostly all) consider friends try to share closely related, antique automobile and era Ford, experiences are shoved off to the nether regions of "OT" because a few people are offended by something that is not purely model T.

I think I better stop now. I am not trying to stir up trouble. However, it does sadden me that the "back porch" that I always believed was largely responsible for the intense activity of our forum past, has become a dumping ground for a small group to enjoy. There is a lot of good interaction in the OT. And, amazingly, a lot of it IS model T related.

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:38 pm

BobD wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:45 am
. . . why didn’t Henry go with the “single spark system” when the starter cars came out in 1919? Think of the savings . . .
Bob, as Henry had pared costs to the bone, I'm pretty sure any re-design, re-tooling and sourcing different components would not have made for savings. Unless the motor had been re-designed for a vertical distributor drive, you can be thankful he didn't , as it probably would have taken form similarly to the 9N Ford tractors. There is no hell like replacing components and setting points in one, removing the radiator is the best option ! - besides, a radical change like that would really have required a different model designation and spoiled the very real advantage of that parts list where the majority of parts were listed as "1909-27" :lol:

Re/ Wayne's post, "yea, verily !" You always speak true !!
"Get a horse !"

Luciad63
First Name: Jeanne
Last Name: Moreaux

Post by Luciad63 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:55 am

Tim Rogers wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:31 pm
Yeah, you won't see anything regarding Model As here- after all they have nothing in common with the Model T. Completely unrelated- there was a vacuum between the end of the T and the start of the A mutuelles entreprise. Totally different world when the A was introduced- it was like the T never happened. So therefore folks who have Ts and As are relegated to "Off Topic". :D
Cohabitation is therefore impossible or non-existent. Maybe it's time to change habits.

fschrope
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Schrope
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923, 1926, 1927 TT's, 1918 cutoff touring, 1922 Coupe - original

Post by fschrope » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:20 pm

I'm lost. What's the deal with the "Model A" post by bud delong?

I just followed the above link and see that is has been edited. I thought I saw it all at the time it was active. What's up?

I do see that a particularly offensive - at least to me - post by Tom Hicks is missing.

But the way, what happened to Tom. He took delivery of his dream T and seems to have disappeared. I see he hasn't logged in since November 11.

What's up.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic