Caution - Rutting season has started

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Caution - Rutting season has started

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:02 am

Rutting season has started here in Central Virginia. We have too many deer. I often drive between midnight and 4:00 a.m. and I have seen deer four out of my last five drives. I just got back from the gym and saw two groups of three, one standing on the side of the road and the other standing IN the road. I slowed to a crawl and the ones in the road slowly meandered off when I got about 50" from them.

I like night driving, very little traffic and I am easy to see with all the lights on my car. But these deer are bad news, they will stand on the side of the road waiting for you to come by so they can run into you! I also have a fear of one of them jumping in the car with me.

So I have had to slow it down, I try to keep my speed under 25 mph.

According to my buddy who owns a body shop most deer strikes are around dawn and dusk, and he gets busy with them around mid-October.

Be careful out there!
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

brendan.hoban
First Name: Brendan
Last Name: Hoban
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 22 Touring

Re: Caution - Rutting season has started

Post by brendan.hoban » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:58 am

In Australia we are coming into summer, the T driving season but I do not drive it at night.

Our problem is not deer, it is kangaroos. During droughts, they can be a problem at dusk and dawn, grazing by the roadside.

If you tangle with a "bounder" you will come off second best, your bull bar will not save you!

Topic author
Tom Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:49 pm

I have never seen a kangaroo, but I can see how they would be a hazard. How large do they get? Do they jump in front of fast moving cars?

Large Whitetail bucks can reach over 200 lbs, but around here I think 150 lb. would be considered pretty big. Big enough to do major damage to a car. Most deer strikes are does which charge out into the road, you don't even see them coming. Deer really lose their minds during the rut. And there are a lot more of them around than fifty years ago due to the state regulations concerning hunting procedures.

I would like to see the game laws changed to allow deer hunting 24/7 with no bag limit. That would thin the herds so there would be less chance of having one jump in front of you while driving.
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Hal
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Hal » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:43 am

The deer are prstty bad here too. I leave for work about 5:45 am. I've seen quite a few here lately. Luckily, they USUALLY are content to graze on the side of the road., but I'm seeing quite a few dead ones lately, so they're walking out in front of somebody.

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:35 am

Ad far as I'm concerned, around here in NW. MO. there should be a bounty on Deer. In their infinite wisdom, the State has set limits on them for the hunters for many years because they are "Protected". In fact, they have become a huge hazard for travelers on our local highways. JMHO. Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:11 am

d stroud wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:35 am
Ad far as I'm concerned, around here in NW. MO. there should be a bounty on Deer. In their infinite wisdom, the State has set limits on them for the hunters for many years because they are "Protected". In fact, they have become a huge hazard for travelers on our local highways. JMHO. Dave
No bounty needed in Va., people love to shoot the damn things. Just change the Game Laws. Take all you want, 24/7, 365 days a year. That would be good game management through population reduction.

Back in the 60's the deer population was much smaller and only 2 bucks could be shot until the last 12 days, then you could take a doe. The result is a population explosion, and over population can result in things like Chronic Wasting Disease. And deer strikes with automobiles.

Now the state makes a lot of money off of hunting licenses. They started an archery season which is early, who would have thunk that would result in hunters using crossbows with scopes? Then Black Powder season which sounds good, but we are not talking muzzle loaders, no they now have breach loading black powder rifles as accurate as any modern rifle. They have vastly increased the limit on does, but the population is just out of control, and not just in the deep woods. Deer have really adapted to suburbia. I have up to twelve in my front yard almost every night. I have walked up to within 50' of them with my flashlight on just to see how close they would let me get.

I am getting ready to go to the gym, I know I will see deer, I almost always do this time of year. I just hope none of them lose their mind and jump in the T with me...

noelchico
First Name: Noel
Last Name: Chicoine
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 roadster, 1923 Touring, 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 25420
MTFCI Number: 22686

Post by noelchico » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:14 pm

When is the last time most of you ate venison? Our state game laws are very liberal when it comes to issuing licences for does. Unfortunately, the majority of hunters are after big buck racks and don't shoot the does. If you harvest 90% of the bucks, there are still enough to breed the does and produce a bumper crop of more deer the next year. Most of the white tail doe tags in our state go un-purchased, and many of those purchased go un-filled. I could easily shoot more does but need to find people who want to store and eat the free meat. We eat 2-3 deer a year, very little beef or pork, but don't desire anymore.
Also, most complaints about deer/auto accidents occur near or in towns/cities. Deer know they are safe there in the smaller wooded areas since hunting is not allowed. Most city dwellers do not want people with rifles or bows sneaking around their backyards in the early morning or late afternoon hours, in elevated tree stands in the parks, and don't want rifles fired within miles of the city. The deer aren't hunted there, have few natural predators, and the population explodes.
Regarding the primitive rifle seasons, virtually all require muzzle loading single shot rifles. they may have removable breech plugs for cleaning purposes but they remain single shot. Some may allow sabots (smaller diameter bullets held in a plastic sheath) that allow higher velocity and a modest increase in range but they are still a relatively short range weapon. Again, reloading takes usually 30 seconds to a minute or more, unless you practice a lot and are very good. I think you need to anticipate the deer at this time of the year unless you want to change your city ordinances to allow hunting in your backyard, invite hunters to hunt in your parks and wooded lots, and give up store purchased meat for free range venison. The options are yours.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:21 am

There are a lot of meat hunters in Virginia. I find it lean, but when ground with wild boar or some pork it makes great burgers.

There is also a big hunt for food banks. The deer have to be field dressed and taken to a game station, from there it goes to butchers and food banks.

And you are absolutely correct about deer in suburbia, they have adapted and thrive in suburbia. Of course no one wants hunters with rifles anywhere in suburbia. It used to be that rifles were not allowed east of the Blue Ridge because the terrain is flat and a rifle bullet will travel far.

For the serious sportsman there are game ranches. Deer and elk are fenced into an area of a few square miles. You pay, have a guide, and there are trophy animals on the property brought in just for you to shoot! Game laws do not apply and you can have the hunting experience of a lifetime living in their cabins with their cooks, they even dress and pack your meat to take home! It just doesn't get ay better, in fact if you don't kill anything you don't have to pay! Now that's huntin'!

Back in my day there were fewer deer and no game cameras. So you had to scout out your area, know how to read sign, and be very patient. Or, you could join a club with a pack of dogs and run up and down the road in a pick up to try to get the deer where he crossed. CB's helped a lot.

Now there doesn't seem to be much challenge to killing deer around here, fortunately plenty of people do, but not enough. And with overpopulation comes deer strikes and disease.

24/7 would do it, we have enough meat hunters to whittle them down.

Bud Delong
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: DeLong
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring,1915 roadster

Post by Bud Delong » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:20 pm

They eat our corn and beans and are often seen at night eating apples in the backyard.I have gotten too old too hunt but one a year should be plenty.Is your driving skill up to par?? :oops: Bud :D

Tmodelt
First Name: Kim
Last Name: Wynn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Roadster & 1927 Speedster

Post by Tmodelt » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:47 pm

Tom Hicks,

My brother is doing his part to help eradicate your deer problem. He and his hunting partners have taken several each so far this season near the Roanoke / Salem area.

Kim R.Wynn

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:46 am

Good, the more the better! Tell him "thanks". Big deer in that area too.

State regulations are confusing, but I think they can kill five a year, then buy some type of bonus tags and kill some more! BLAST away!!!

Michael Paul
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Paul
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 touring, 1909 touring
MTFCA Number: 31791

Post by Michael Paul » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:23 am

Our wild deer population seems very depressed here in Northern California. The tame deer population has exploded inside the gated community near by though if that's any consolation.

The problem here is the same as everywhere else, they get hit much more often during the rut. The pattern I've noticed is if you see one cross in the headlights ahead, another will soon follow darting in front of you. The deer species here herd together in the fall and tend cross the roads in single file spaced apart almost for a few seconds for some reason.

Our over population are Mountain Lions and Bears.
They are both protected, Lions with no hunting at all, and Bears only on foot without hunting dogs.
The neighbors had a problem with a cougar killing his sheep a few years ago. After loosing a costly amount, the fish and wildlife sent a tracker out to find him. The dogs tracked him about 700 yards down the road under the other neighbors porch!!! This was a house with two young daughters.

Just 2 months ago, we had a cougar cub just below the house about 500' away crying for it's mother at dusk. Rather than the growl sounds you would expect, their young chirp like a bird. So a weekend hike in the woods with birds chirping could mean something quite different than what you would expect!

Believe it or not, in California it's now legal to salvage the meat from a deer that has been hit.
The fresh ones of course. It's the first common sense legislation I've heard in years!
Maybe there's Hope for this state.....

Michael Paul

Post by Michael Paul » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:33 pm

Just a follow-up, just made my rounds on foot around the ranch. On the trail in deep dust was a rear bear print, 9 in Long. Pretty good size for a black bear.

At this point I don't know whether he was following me or running from me, I suppose if I never post here again we'll have our answer lol.

Since I only carry a sig 380 handgun, which is the equivalent to hitting him on the nose with a newspaper, my only backup is to sing "the bear necessities" with a hope he drops his guard, and joins in to ease the situation.

Have a great day, Mike

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:45 pm

A bear rear print ? Your neighbors should wear pants to sit down! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:23 pm

Michael Paul wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:23 am
Believe it or not, in California it's now legal to salvage the meat from a deer that has been hit.
The fresh ones of course. It's the first common sense legislation I've heard in years!
Maybe there's Hope for this state.....
I have been told that in the '60's if you hit a deer the State Police had to come and write a report. The deer was State property and not only did you not get the deer, you could get a ticket depending on the officer's opinion. If the officer determined that the hit was avoidable your insurance did not have to pay to repair your car. So one driver who got a ticket for hitting a deer sued the State for having State property in the middle of the road. After that no one got a ticket for hitting a deer, it was assumed the deer hit you, it was not your fault, you could keep the deer, and your insurance company had to pay to repair your vehicle.

Officers now have a list of people in the area they patrol who want deer, these people get a call from the officer, and most deer picked up. It doesn't matter is a deer is killed by a bullet or a Honda, deer meat is good!

Michael Paul

Post by Michael Paul » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:38 pm

Bear rear print, and my neighbors???? I'm gonna have to go back and look again. Lol :lol:

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:05 am

Can you tell from the print if it was male or female?

Michael Paul

Post by Michael Paul » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:49 am

Since we have a neighbor who is known to water her garden naked, I'd have to guess female

:lol:

Michael Paul

Post by Michael Paul » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:55 am

Male or female ?
IMG_20180728_082127518-1632x918.jpg

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:49 am

My reservoir last spring before filling; quarter used for size comparison. Medium size Grizzly on dry/compacted bentonite clay:
Attachments
front and rear paw print.gif
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:34 am

Data rolling in:

Rutting season
Female butt prints in the sand
Women watering garden nude

Somebody trying to tell us something?

Michael Paul

Post by Michael Paul » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:08 pm

Wow grizzly tracks, they don't scare so easy....

Believe it or not, they were talking about reintroducing the grizzly to California. Might be a good thing, thin out the human population a little.

But really, could you imagine. The distance they travel would have them swimming in backyard pools in no time.

Reminds me of a story, what should we take for protection in bear country the city dweller asked? Answer: bear spray and a whistle. How can you tell if it's black bear or grizzly scat? Answer:. Grizzly scat is filled with whistles!

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:01 am

One of the best entries in the Lewis & Clark Journals:

"The men have stopped shooting the bears, as it only seems to make them angry".
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Tim Moore
First Name: TIMOTHY
Last Name: MOORE
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: As many as can fit in the buildings, need to add on again.

Post by Tim Moore » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:49 pm

Deer become what is called "crepuscular"" or active at dawn and dusk, some mammals are either nocturnal (active at night) or diurnal (active during the day) . Deer all over the page and crepuscular activity is triggered by many factors such as the breeding season but mostly by the amount of sunlight during the day.

I have worked for more than 20 years with wildlife and deer management in agricultural research areas where deer have done damage. The wildlife biologists and myself have come to a conclusion about deer and car interactions...you can spotlight any deer and they will stand still and look at you but if you are in a moving vehicle with headlights that casts a shadow that moves behind the animal they see it as a predator that is about to jump on them. This sudden movement of a dark object behind or beside them is what causes them to jump into the road. Of course sometimes it is just deer being dumb and following each other across the road.

I can go outside right now and shine a dozen deer or drive a mile and see a deer hit by a car. The population is way too high and they possibly have both chronic wasting disease or Eastern Equine Encephalitis. Deer ticks also transmit Lyme disease and I watch them all year scratch and itch themselves because of ticks.

Deer jump out in front of you because they are afraid of something beside them.

Tim Moore

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:16 am

To add to what Michael Paul said about Califunny's deer population. When we moved here fourteen years ago, we routinely saw eight to twenty deer almost everyday! After about five of eight years of drought, they had eaten everything they liked and began starving to death. Most weeks now, we don't see a single deer in our yard. Also, the local highway 49 has only a few hit deer on the shoulders every week, whereas it used to have dozens. I don't know if this is only because of drought/starvation, or deer disease. But a dozen hunters would starve if they were to rely on venison around here.
We also see black bear calling cards (no whistles) often, but I have not in fourteen years here actually seen the black bear.

As for the damage large wildlife can do to an automobile? About seventeen years ago, I had a close encounter with an elk up Califunny's North coastal area. There are a couple wild elk herds in Northern Califunny. One of the larger ones is just a couple miles South of the town of Laytonville on highway 101. Commuting home one night, at about one in the am, as I was approaching Laytonville, I rounded a bend in the highway to find three elk standing on the shoulder of the road. Two cows, one bull elk. And it was rutting season. I slammed on the brakes, and crept forward toward them, the big bull elk decided to challenge me in my full size three quarter ton suburban Chevy. He crossed the road to the other side, then circled around and trotted across again right in front of my grill. He brushed against the front fender as I continued to creep slowly past. As I looked out the passenger side window of the suburban, as I slid slowly past this critter, I was looking out under his chest!
I can imagine what amount of damage hitting him at speed could do, to the car, or the occupants.

Dallas Landers

Post by Dallas Landers » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:37 pm

20191116_071607.jpg
The view from my deer stand this morning fellas! Snow and 22 degrees and a great sunrise! Watched a mink hunting for about 45 minutes all within 30 yds of me and his prize was a mouse. Squirls, rabbits, cardinals,blue jays, turkey gobbling in the back ground! Some of the best reasons to be a hunter! Oh ya, I am doing my share to keep the deer in check. 8 point hangin in the barn.

Dallas Landers

Post by Dallas Landers » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:40 pm

CAUTION! Hunting season has started!

Michael Paul

Post by Michael Paul » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:10 am

Wow Dallas, 8 pointer! Nice going.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:09 pm

It would be like Vegas and all with bears instead of showgirls and gin with raw honey and probably blackberry wine and cinnamon crumpettes and other stuff that bears like. Bears get great comps and upgrades during Bear Season in Vegas. They're crazy about the Elvis Wedding Chapel, too, and a good many brown bears are Elvis Impersonators.

Professor Fate
First Name: Dan
Last Name: S
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 and '26
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Professor Fate » Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:27 am

Another thread started by a bot...
Attachments
1669297627648511858601001.gif
1669297627648511858601001.gif (359.39 KiB) Viewed 1336 times

Milesedger
First Name: Miles
Last Name: Edger
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by Milesedger » Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:25 am

oplisdop wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:59 pm
The situation on the local highway is also quite alarming. It is unfortunate to hear about the number of reindeer that used to be hit on a weekly basis. I wonder if the decline in deer numbers is solely due to drought and starvation, or if deer disease is also contributing? Regardless, clearly the impact on the deer population has been significant. If you want a distraction, I usually read differentmini militia ios old version game reviews on MostBet UZ. You also mentioned calling cards for black bears, but you haven't actually seen a single bear in your fourteen years here. It's interesting how they leave traces of their presence but remain elusive. I can only imagine how interesting it would be to see a black bear in its natural habitat.
First there must be alternative instead of local highways and second I am curious to know what is mostBet UZ?

Why did you mentioned about mostBet uz into your post!

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:46 am

Many bears are flying today. It's our many most new societal trends, like the electrical automobile wagon and the pocket telephone device with many features that attract the busy modern family like flies.
Young members relieve urgent anxious for new rubber shoe and newest emollient substance as father get billed in convenient intallment. This upsets some old man, but they are soon upright and joyful as primary irritants such as lack of cushion socks or palliative creams and medical towel sets in late mode are quickly answered with new and intersting products not sold on amazon!
Become your yourself at lowest rate possible! Correct your ugly and sleep all night! Connect with hottest new deal and special offer just for your door! Scan or peer into additional information for your card before any more time slip under the water!

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:44 pm

Would somebody please delete this thread!!!!!!!!

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:36 pm

A bot questioning another bot!! I think the battle is lost.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic