Rear axle and drive shaft rebuild

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Rosenfelder
First Name: John
Last Name: Rosenfelder
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T touring
MTFCA Number: 49923

Rear axle and drive shaft rebuild

Post by Rosenfelder » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:20 pm

I am finally getting around to rebuilding the drive shaft and rear end of my '27. I think that I want to order the Timken bearing for the pinion bearing kit, rather than the standard roller bearing. Also the hot set up seems to be Timken bearings for both the inner and outer rear axle bearings. The outer Timken bearings seem to be a direct replacement for the roller bearings. The inner Timken requires machining the axle. What is is involved with machining the inner portion of the axles?
Thanks, J.R.

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Re: Rear axle and drive shaft rebuild

Post by Les Schubert » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:16 pm

I’ve just used roller bearings inboard.
Make sure your housings are straight. I live with 1/8” misalignment at the outboard end. I’ve seen enough housings that are 1/2” or more out.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:29 pm

John, I have always been happy with the origional Ford Set up with origional Hyat bearings.

Topic author
Rosenfelder

Post by Rosenfelder » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:15 pm

Has anyone adapted axles to use the inner Timken bearings? What type of modification is required?

Stephen_heatherly
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Heatherly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe and 23 Runabout

Post by Stephen_heatherly » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:15 am

I honestly have never used anything other than stock axle shaft bearings so, I have no idea what has to be done to install the modern bearings. I agree with the others though. The stock axle bearings are perfectly adequate and do not need to be replaced with modern bearings. In fact, the original bearings are better because they allow for a small amount of misalignment and flexing in the rear axle assembly which is inherent in it's design. Having said that, the tapered roller pinion bearing is a definite improvement over the stock arrangement.

Stephen

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:10 am

In my opinion, the Fun Projects adjustable pinion bearing kit, standard Hyatt bearings and sleeves on the inner ends of the axles and a set of safety hubs/floating bearings on the outer end is the best combination.

The adjustable pinion bearing set-up allows the optimum setting of the crown wheel and pinion mesh.

The use of standard Hyatt bearings and sleeves in the centre means there are no problems fitting reproduction rollers over original axles and they are usually in good order, as is the inner axle bearing journal.

A set of safety hubs/floating outer bearings takes the load off the axle and transfers it to the axle housing. This also allows the use of original axles which may otherwise be compromised by wear in the outer journals. It does mean making an easy but irreversible modification to the rear axle housings, but this cannot be seen once assembled.

Others wil have different ideas.
Allan from down under.

Topic author
Rosenfelder

Post by Rosenfelder » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:58 pm

After much pondering, and searching for compatible parts, I am going to put in the adjustable pinion bearing, new front bushing, and the standard axle bearings and sleeves. I would have loved to use the safety hubs, but this has become a money pit. I should have bought a boat instead. My next project, when I get out of hock, would be to install Rocky Mountain brakes. Thanks for the sugestions.

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:35 pm

Rosenfelder wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:58 pm
After much pondering, and searching for compatible parts, I am going to put in the adjustable pinion bearing, new front bushing, and the standard axle bearings and sleeves.
This is what I did but I used the non-adjustable FunProjects pinion. I'm pleased with how it turned out.
1924 Touring

Kenny Edmondson
First Name: Kenny
Last Name: Edmondson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring 1924 Fordor

Post by Kenny Edmondson » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:04 pm

The non-adjustable pinion bearing is the way to go if it isn’t too late.

Stephen_heatherly
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Heatherly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe and 23 Runabout

Post by Stephen_heatherly » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:44 pm

I vote for the non-adjustable one too.

Stephen

JTT3
Last Name: Tannehill
MTFCA Number: 49460

Post by JTT3 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:17 pm

When I did one of mine Mr. Regan told me to go with the non-adjustable set up, which I did. What I’ve experienced with the original Ford set up had me dreading the rebuild. I’m not saying the rebuild was simple but it was easier. I’m voting for the non adjustable too.

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:34 pm

Ya, the rear axle on my 18 cost me a bundle $$$ too but the only things able to be reused were the grease cups!
John didn't want to sell me the adjustable pinion either. Worked out great! I set the gear clearance tighter than most here but that axle sounds so good and it's done until something breaks.
:)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic