How to remove the timing gear from the cam?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

How to remove the timing gear from the cam?

Post by Mark Nunn » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:02 am

I decided to check, and if need be, clean my oil distribution tube. I’m taking the opportunity to do this while my radiator is out and I wait for my new one. The service manual shows the use of a gear puller to remove the timing gear from the cam. It engages into slots in the gear. I have not taken my timing cover off yet so I don’t know if my gear has slots for a puller.

The gears that are currently sold by the vendors don’t have slots. If I have one of those, how do I remove the gear? Would I need to remove the cam to pull the gear? There isn’t much space around the engine block to hook a puller behind the teeth.
Timing gears.gif

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Re: How to remove the timing gear from the cam?

Post by Humblej » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:49 am

Pulling the gear while the engine is in car is not for the weak or faint of heart. It is not something you do just to check it out. And putting any gear (new or origional) back on is not really possible while the cam is in the engine. The gear needs to be heated up and driven back on, this should not be done while the cam is in the engine. Unless there is a known problem, let that sleeping dog lie.

Topic author
Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:46 am

The service manual shows removing the gear and using compressed air to blow out the distribution tube. Maybe I could fish a wire through or behind the gear and into the tube to check for obstructions. I need to remove the timing cover anyway. My timer is not centered very well and I have an alignment tool coming. Or, I could put this on the back burner until my car is roadworthy, which I hope will be this year.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:00 am

Mark

I bought a '19 which kept losing #1 con rod bearing...had to reshim every 100 miles. While changing bands and hog's head was off, I discovered oil sitting in the funnel. Cotton had clogged it entirely and the poor engine was living on what little oil the silly external mag-post line would supply (thank you mag-post supply!!).

Anyway, time spent "drilling" and plumbing the depths of the oil line from the funnel end finally unplugged the darn thing and it ran oil well when done. My new transmission screen seemed to catch the bulk of the gunk within 2 fairly frequent oil changes. I did not use, though believe it would work well, a speedometer cable and low speed drill.

Or try what John did: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50 ... 1428587229

This experience taught me to never buy a car without pulling the front/passenger side bolt from the inspection plate and look for LOTS of oil flow out the hole when the car is running to ensure buying a healthy car and not one with lots of hidden bearing problems.

good luck and have fun (!)
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:42 pm

The gear is NOT a press fit on the camshaft, no heat is needed or even should be considered to ever use to do so. Drop your generator out and as slowly rotating the crank, with a hammer, tap the gear from the generator hole.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:21 pm

Oops, your right, the cam gear is not the press fit, its the crank gear that needs heat.

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:22 pm

I've never had to heat a crank gear to install - just my press.

GG Gregory
First Name: GG
Last Name: Gregory
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 Roadster

Post by GG Gregory » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:39 pm

Not a tuff job, and yes it can be done with the engine in the car...I just replaced one for my buddy and in my Roadster a few months ago.

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:34 am

Don't be a bit afraid of wiggling that cam gear off for an oil tube check.
For a cam gear nut wrench, I use an old Indestro 1, 1-1/16 or 1-1/8 wrench that has had the open end offset a bit for a specific job dad had on a building somewhere yet it works great for the cam gear nut. :)
I believe the suppliers offer us a specific socket or some-such for that nut.
Summer of '16 I sat on a chair after the rad was off (waiting for correct rad & shell mounting parts), pulled the gear cover, gear and found this:
Pulled the muck out, reached in. did it again and then put the air to it. Bloop! It went! I cannot spell the sound the air made thru the oil tube! Cuuhuuhuuhuuhuu? Slur the H's? :)
Hopefully the new screen caught what came out the other end.
Perhaps a "thing to do, every few" for some engines that are not CLEAN inside.
Attachments
672505.jpg
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:44 am

I use a similar old wrench that has an offset to remove the timing gear. Nothing special but it works. Usually a slight tap going back and forth across the gear will help break it loose. It’s made to have a snug slip fit and not a press fit. The crankshaft gear is a press fit and it’s really tight. Just my take on how to remove the large gear.

John Dow
First Name: John
Last Name: Dow
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32344
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by John Dow » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:00 am

Anybody need a Dan McEachern bronze cam gear? Used very little, gear mating surfaces like new. $50 + shipping. PM me if interested.

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by SurfCityGene » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:02 pm

Mark, Make sure to take advantage of your radiator replacement to inspect/change/install new modern seals in you timing cover! ALSO it's the perfect time to install a lip seal on the front of your crankshaft!!! Google "MTFCA modern crankshaft seal Gene Carrothers" and you'll find lots of info and pictures
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic