low band functionality question???

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Walt Wise
First Name: Walt
Last Name: Wise
MTFCA Number: 12345

low band functionality question???

Post by Walt Wise » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:31 am

Okay, I would like to understand this or either "something" is wrong with my low speed band and its adjustment. With the transmission cover off, then pressing the clutch pedal down which obviously "tightens" the low speed band around the drum, my band ears seems to only have movement on the left(driver's side)side to "tighten/grip" the drum. With both my reverse and brake bands, there is movement on both ears equally when those pedals are pressed down as the band ears come together and seem to tighten around those drums in unison.

So...I bought some brand new(supposedly stronger) advertised springs and installed one on only my low band yesterday. Same exact thing, when you press the clutch pedal down, only the left ear seems to move to "tighten/grip" the drum. To me, the low speed drum doesn't seem to drag, as I have a fairly good "neutral" with my current adjustments.

To the question: Is this normal and possibly has to do with the low band adjusting screw that has its adjustment on the outside of the hogshead, verses the brake and reverse that have the nut adjustment inside the hogshead? It is either that, or maybe my low speed band is "distorted"(not in a more perfect circle), or what?

Would love an explicit answer here, if there is one???

Much Thanks in advance!!!

Walt Wise

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: low band functionality question???

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:55 am

The low band, there would be no movement on the right side, the adjuster does not push in so the ear on that side doesn't move. When the pedal is pressed down the band is pushed to the right. When the brake or reverse pedals are pressed, it may look like the ears on the left side are moving, but they too are resting against the hogs head casting and would only be pulled to the left from right side.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:22 am

What you have described is the correct way the bands should move. It has to do with which way you want the drums to stop. Reverse moves the car opposite way from the way it moves in low. With the bands moving as you describe the movement of the drum tends to tighten the band. If tightened the opposite way, the movement of the drum would tend to loosen the band. Important thing about low band is that it starts to tighten when the pedal is moved past the neutral position. and when in neutral the band is loose enough to have a free neutral. And it should be tight when the pedal is about 1 1/2 inch above the floor board. If you cannot achieve a free neutral and a tight band at 1" to 1 1/2" above the floorboard, you will need to replace the low cam and notch.
Norm

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:35 am

The clutch should be disengaged just after you press the pedal down and the low band should be be tight on the low drum when the pedal is at 1 to 1-1/2 inches above the floor.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic