Assistant WebSite Admin
1921 Model T Touring, 1930 Model A Roadster
Voltage Regulators, Starter & Generator Repair
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Re: Do you like the new Gallery? Have a question? Ask here

Post by Duey_C » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:23 pm

Heck, I'll start this one. I like the separation of the different sections!
Martynn? Rich? Perfect!
Thanks guys! I didn't feel the need as it were but this is neat!
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:29 am

Well, I had to spend much of the day caring for sick family. So I spent a few hours going through the old photos and making comments on some of them!
So there!

I like it.
Thank you Admin Jeff and all!

mtntee20
First Name: Terry & Sharon
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Center Door, 1920 TTWood cab Farm Truck with cable dump grain bed, 1920 TT C-Cab with express bed, 1927 Wood body Dairy Delivery truck
MTFCA Number: 32583
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by mtntee20 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:50 am

Thank You Jeff. This makes it very easy and nice to view photos. I appreciate all of your work on this.

Dennis Prince
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Prince
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1)24 touring 2)25 TT's 1)26 roadster 2)26 tourings 1) 26coupe 1)27 funster 1)28 A pick up
MTFCA Number: 22802
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Dennis Prince » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:04 pm

It makes it easier to view the photos but I do miss the stories that go with them.

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:32 pm

As I see it, every photo has a thread all its own. They can sometimes be found by quickly looking through the thumbnails (25? per page?). Currently the "old photo" pages contain 155 photos! I looked at every one last night and commented on about a dozen of them. Others can add comments afterwards, and the thread for a given picture could get as lengthy as the interest in it demands. One photo was posted in the WWI section by Adrian Whiteman, commented on by John E G, and then again by me. This is what we have available to us! It has the potential to become a significant research source with thousands of photos, some discussed at length pointing out details of production changes, accessories, historic events, and even personal connections.
It is up to US to make this truly wonderful! Let us all follow reasonable rules of deportment. No name calling, no nasty remarks about someone else's comments, etc. Polite corrections should be encouraged, limited debates about timelines and what is or is not correct, maybe. And my personal opinion? Even a bit of humor, occasional snide remarks etc should be tolerated and enjoyed. SO LONG AS those things do not get out of hand!
I will be checking the opening pages for the galleries nearly every day now. I hope a lot of people do so. I want to see good comments and identifications from lots of our regulars on this forum!

I will have more to say later. (WHO? ME?)

Thank you Admin Jeff and Chris B and all that make this forum what it is. Hopefully, we can ALL make this a wonderful resource for all.

Bob McDaniel
First Name: Bob
Last Name: McDaniel
MTFCA Number: 28428
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Bob McDaniel » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:23 pm

I have a question about the new gallery. If we post a picture and later decide it needs to be deleted, can we remove it or do we ask for it to be removed? I had thought of posting something just to play with it and learn how it works and then delete it when done but decided not to because it might not be possible to remove without help.
Give an old car guy a barn and he won't throw anything away.

Topic author
AdminJeff
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Stevenson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50006

Post by AdminJeff » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:00 pm

Dennis Prince wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:04 pm
It makes it easier to view the photos but I do miss the stories that go with them.
When posting a pic, add a story. There's an entire discussion facility under each photo. others can contribute as well...

Jeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Topic author
AdminJeff

Post by AdminJeff » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:01 pm

Bob McDaniel wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:23 pm
I have a question about the new gallery. If we post a picture and later decide it needs to be deleted, can we remove it or do we ask for it to be removed? I had thought of posting something just to play with it and learn how it works and then delete it when done but decided not to because it might not be possible to remove without help.
Yes, you can delete or move your own pictures! create your own Gallery from your profile as well. you cant break anything!

Jeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Topic author
AdminJeff

Post by AdminJeff » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:04 pm

wayne sheldon wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:32 pm
As I see it, every photo has a thread all its own. They can sometimes be found by quickly looking through the thumbnails (25? per page?). Currently the "old photo" pages contain 155 photos! I looked at every one last night and commented on about a dozen of them. Others can add comments afterwards, and the thread for a given picture could get as lengthy as the interest in it demands. One photo was posted in the WWI section by Adrian Whiteman, commented on by John E G, and then again by me. This is what we have available to us! It has the potential to become a significant research source with thousands of photos, some discussed at length pointing out details of production changes, accessories, historic events, and even personal connections.
It is up to US to make this truly wonderful! Let us all follow reasonable rules of deportment. No name calling, no nasty remarks about someone else's comments, etc. Polite corrections should be encouraged, limited debates about timelines and what is or is not correct, maybe. And my personal opinion? Even a bit of humor, occasional snide remarks etc should be tolerated and enjoyed. SO LONG AS those things do not get out of hand!
I will be checking the opening pages for the galleries nearly every day now. I hope a lot of people do so. I want to see good comments and identifications from lots of our regulars on this forum!

I will have more to say later. (WHO? ME?)

Thank you Admin Jeff and Chris B and all that make this forum what it is. Hopefully, we can ALL make this a wonderful resource for all.
Wayne, you nailed it! This is exactly why I invested so much time making the Gallery what it is in the first place. Dont forget you can subscribe to Photo Gallery just like you can to individual Forums and be notified of additions, etc.
Greenshot 2019-02-07 13.03.06.png
Jeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:45 pm

Thank you Admin Jeff! For all you do, and the compliment. Now we need to get more people commenting on the photos! I want to see discussions about what may or may not be right. I want to see conversations about the circumstances (like the center-door in the Earthquake rubble picture, some of the battlefield Ts, the tractors and other cars shown). All these things add to the value of the pictures and gallery as a whole.
I may be "wordy", I do occasionally remark "who, me?" about some of my lengthy posts. I do not do that because I want to be the center of attention. I do it because I like to participate in a group quest for knowledge. I don't want to be the only one, nor always the first one, to comment on these. I have added comments to more photos (and one of Richard's paintings) the past two days. I plan to continue doing so.

Hopefully, others will chime in soon!

Come on guys! This is for all of us!

Topic author
AdminJeff

Post by AdminJeff » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:58 pm

wayne sheldon wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:45 pm
Thank you Admin Jeff! For all you do, and the compliment. Now we need to get more people commenting on the photos! I want to see discussions about what may or may not be right. I want to see conversations about the circumstances (like the center-door in the Earthquake rubble picture, some of the battlefield Ts, the tractors and other cars shown). All these things add to the value of the pictures and gallery as a whole.
I may be "wordy", I do occasionally remark "who, me?" about some of my lengthy posts. I do not do that because I want to be the center of attention. I do it because I like to participate in a group quest for knowledge. I don't want to be the only one, nor always the first one, to comment on these. I have added comments to more photos (and one of Richard's paintings) the past two days. I plan to continue doing so.

Hopefully, others will chime in soon!

Come on guys! This is for all of us!
Amen. Rich’s paintings are breathtaking and worthy of lots of comments. Martyn’s drawings are just amazing, the detail stunning. I wanted a showcase that honors the talent we have in this club.

How about a section on restorations? There are so many good ones, with so many pictures and trials and tribulations along the way.

So many possibilities!

Jeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:55 pm

While I do like the photo gallery, keeps things less cluttered.
But just judging by the views and comments, it seems like it's kinda stuck on a shelf in the closet...maybe some have not gotten around to it or don't understand.
Also, I browse a lot without logging in and you can't see any of this if not, maybe overlooked due to this a bit.

Worth the $0.02 in which it was given :)

Topic author
AdminJeff

Post by AdminJeff » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:55 am

Ruxstel24 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:55 pm
But just judging by the views and comments, it seems like it's kinda stuck on a shelf in the closet...maybe some have not gotten around to it or don't understand.
Also, I browse a lot without logging in and you can't see any of this if not, maybe overlooked due to this a bit.

Good catch. I just modified permissions so guests can see everything now.

Jeff.
Assistant WebSite Admin
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:55 am

AdminJeff wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:55 am
Ruxstel24 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:55 pm

Jeff.
EXCELLENT !!
A lot easier to view. :D

Another thought was...
People still post pics on the main forum (which is fine), maybe once a week or month, they can be moved to the appropriate gallery.
I think they will be viewed and commented on more readily that way.

Keep up the outstanding work !! 8-)

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:36 pm

Okay Jeff, Chris, et al, A question/suggestion/or? Would it be reasonable to have a "data gathering" point? It would not necessarily have to be in the gallery, although it may work there. For propriety and paranoia reasons, it would need to be set up so that needed data could be added without revealing the name of who provides it, if so desired.
What I am thinking of at this point, is an ongoing (and so far not nearly successful enough) effort to correlate body serial numbers and engine serial numbers in order to develop a probable timeline between them. Early brass era should also try to correlate the serial number used on the firewall data plate. This would mostly be for brass era cars, however it could even go well into the black era cars, especially coupes and sedans which for many years were provided by outside suppliers.

The current discussion that prompted this should be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1301

Part of the problem in the past with attempts to get this going, is that the threads would drop out of sight, and not be found, eventually ending up in last year's closed areas. Although data, and not so much pictures, this could maybe work in one of the gallery album areas?

I do hope I am not causing too much trouble.

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:43 pm

Also, a suggestion. You may want to talk with Hap Tucker and Tony Bowker about this, as they are involved in past and current efforts. I have not communicated with either of them recently about this, although Hap and I did exchange emails a few years back on the subject. Rob Heyen would be another good one to talk with also.

Topic author
AdminJeff

Post by AdminJeff » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:19 pm

wayne sheldon wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:36 pm
Okay Jeff, Chris, et al, A question/suggestion/or? Would it be reasonable to have a "data gathering" point? It would not necessarily have to be in the gallery, although it may work there. For propriety and paranoia reasons, it would need to be set up so that needed data could be added without revealing the name of who provides it, if so desired.
What I am thinking of at this point, is an ongoing (and so far not nearly successful enough) effort to correlate body serial numbers and engine serial numbers in order to develop a probable timeline between them. Early brass era should also try to correlate the serial number used on the firewall data plate. This would mostly be for brass era cars, however it could even go well into the black era cars, especially coupes and sedans which for many years were provided by outside suppliers.

The current discussion that prompted this should be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1301

Part of the problem in the past with attempts to get this going, is that the threads would drop out of sight, and not be found, eventually ending up in last year's closed areas. Although data, and not so much pictures, this could maybe work in one of the gallery album areas?

I do hope I am not causing too much trouble.
That would be a database and I’m sure we could create one. Let me noodle on it. Basically you enter your name, and all car details. I’d need a list of all attributes you would want to track.

Jeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Topic author
AdminJeff

Post by AdminJeff » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:22 pm

Jeff.
EXCELLENT !!
A lot easier to view. :D

Another thought was...
People still post pics on the main forum (which is fine), maybe once a week or month, they can be moved to the appropriate gallery.
I think they will be viewed and commented on more readily that way.

Keep up the outstanding work !! 8-)
[/quote]

That would be way too much work! We’d need an army of people to do that !

Jeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:27 am

Jeff, I have begun making some notes. I am taking care of sick family right now, so it may take a day or two to get it sorted out.
Primary information wanted will be Original engine number if known, body maker if known (there were several during the brass era), body serial number and date code if applicable, and the firewall "car" serial number on either the data plate on the firewall or small tag on either the firewall or front seat riser (again, if applicable).
A problem is that some misinformation will undoubtedly be gathered. To that end, I am thinking of some rating assessments of the car's general originality. Maybe a "one to four" scale of "believed mostly original and mostly correct down to a car with many changed or incorrect pieces.
Perhaps tomorrow I should start a thread on the regular forum to ask other opinions of questions and/or ratings?

Topic author
AdminJeff

Post by AdminJeff » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:24 am

Good idea, start a new thread. Perhaps there’s something we could start with that already exists.

Jeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Galalio
First Name: George
Last Name: Blanchard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT 1 ton cargo
MTFCA Number: 263

Post by Galalio » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:47 pm

how do I remove split ring on a TT tire 32 x 4 1/2 and reinstall after tube replacement

Galalio
First Name: George
Last Name: Blanchard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT 1 ton cargo
MTFCA Number: 263

Post by Galalio » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:11 pm

Hi Jeff this is the first time i have used this site> I am not getting any exposure on the question removing a split rim? I was hoping someone out there could help not even sure it is posted right. Is there anything I can do? George

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:00 am

Hey there George B! Well, I am not Jeff, but, maybe I can help.
First, let me say welcome to the affliction! Once you get your bearings straight, you should find this a rather nice place to spend a few minutes (or hours!), as well as a wonderful source of information about model Ts and a surprising amount of other stuff.
This thread, where your two posts are, unfortunately, is the wrong place. This thread is for discussion about some of the new features that are included into our new format begun just last month.

The proper place for general discussions about model Ts in general, and the service and repair thereof, is the "general discussion" forum itself. At the top of this page, to your left, are three choices: "Board index - Photo Gallery and Other Topics - Photo Gallery Discussion"
Choose "Board Index"

There, you should find a variety of thread headings (sub forums?), the top one should be "2019 General Discussion Forum". Choose that, and you should find the general discussion. Since you have successfully posted here twice, you should be able to post there with little to no difficulty.

My apologies for being slow responding. This particular thread is somewhat of a road less traveled. I just happened to wander in because I have been part of an ongoing discussion here.

As for your split rims? First question is what type of "split rims are you referring to? There are the common in the '20s collapsible split rims, which are not too bad to work with, however, having the right type of split rim jack helps a lot! And then there is the used-to-be common truck type two or three part "split rims" that had removable rings to hold the tire in place. Those can be very dangerous if you are not very familiar with how to work with them (those are sometimes lovingly referred to as "widow makers".
Any further discussion of your rim questions would be best served there. I hope my being four days late finding you here has not scared you away.

Topic author
AdminJeff

Post by AdminJeff » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:43 am

Nice Wayne!! I missed this post as well!

Jeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:54 pm

Hey there Jeff, I see he has still only posted the twice here on this thread. Perhaps you can email him directly? I fear he may have gotten discouraged because it took about five days for me to notice this, and I knew you were on tour.

Topic author
AdminJeff

Post by AdminJeff » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:05 pm

He’ll have 2emails already...
Assistant WebSite Admin
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:32 pm

Thanks again Jeff!

Topic author
AdminJeff

Post by AdminJeff » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:03 am

Anytime. I’ll m now in Vegas. “Only” down $200. Christ it’s day 1..,,
Assistant WebSite Admin
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:30 am

I recently posted this question on the forum on October 22, 2019 in Mr. Jelf’s post: “Have you posted a photo in the new gallery”. Upon exploring the new gallery, I was shocked to see that the photo Bruce McCalley posted in the gallery for me, along with all of the photos others posted in the old gallery were missing. Certainly, the old gallery contained many classic Model T restorations belonging to many legendary MTFCA members that have passed and it is upsetting to find that the photos they posted documenting their achievements and serving as great reference disappeared along with the old Gallery. Is there any way to pull up the old gallery and transfer the Model T photos on there, along with the owner’s name to the new gallery? These Model T photos of T’s belonging to legendary members who have now passed, were of very correct restorations by very passionate Model T owner’s who referred to countless resources to get their T’s just right and that kind of resource for us, cannot be recreated. Like me, there are many members that referred to these photos for ideas for their T restorations including color schemes for their T’s, as well as to get ideas on how a correct Model T should be done and it would be a shame if this priceless resource disappeared along with the old gallery. Jim Patrick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic