4th main

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Divcoone
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Giles
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster
MTFCA Number: 25039
Board Member Since: 2020

4th main

Post by Divcoone » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:11 pm

Looking for opinions on the ball bearing/seal 4 th main made by Birdhaven. I have the rear end out so nows the time.
Thanks, Bob Giles

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: 4th main

Post by Scott_Conger » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:01 pm

If you can get tail piece TIR to less than .001" or use a modern two piece transmission shaft it would probably be fine.

Since you do not know the condition of the transmission, TIR of tail piece or if the transmission has a modern 2 piece transmission shaft (my assumption) I personally would not use it.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by david_dewey » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:43 pm

I'm an "old school" guy; while I do have updated pinion bearings in my cars, I think ball bearing 4th mains are a complication to the design just something "new" to go wrong. I think that particular bearing are requires more "give" than a ball bearing can provide.
BUT! That's just my personal opinion. Consider the source--a guy who is still on dial-up (but not by choice! Nothing else available at my home site).
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Joe Bell
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Bell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Fordor
MTFCI Number: 24066

Post by Joe Bell » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:53 pm

Some of the ball bearing fourth mains are loctited to the shaft, when the trans heats up it has to expand and if it can not go out the rear it will go forward and push on the thrust of the rear main or get into the magnets and field coil?

Topic author
Divcoone
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Giles
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster
MTFCA Number: 25039
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by Divcoone » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:12 pm

Thanks for the reply’s, I heard enough.
Bob Giles

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:42 pm

I’ve run ball bearing 4th mains for many years (over 40 years). I took to making a light press fit to the output shaft and close slip fit of the outside race. NEVER have I had a problem and this is before I invented the “floating transmission shaft “.
I can’t personally speak to the Birdhaven design as I always have made my own.
The inspiration for using the ball bearing came from reading the old era go fast books!!

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:43 pm

I've fitted a few at owners request over the years with no problems so far with the exception of the last rebuild to come in with one.
Now in saying that it had a early crankshaft in it that was ground .060" mains and big,ends. we know that that crank would have been in it for some 20 years before it broke. Do we blame the ball bearing 4th? I sure don't.
As for the movement of the trans growing with heat, there is at least .015" to .020" clearance\float in the drums to allow for that.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:41 pm

Les

I would bet that it's fair to say that you invented the two piece shaft as an answer to excessive runout of tail shafts and based on other older posts from you, you had extremely small runout on your tail shafts when installing your ball bearing 4th main (even prior to the two piece transmission shaft), correct?

I think that a casual reader could come away from your post thinking "gee, I have .018" runout on my tail shaft, so the best way to hang on to that puppy is a modern solid ball bearing 4th main and I'll be fine since Les has used them for years with no trouble". I don't think that's what you're saying, but I think someone could come away with that idea.

Personally, I don't have any heartburn over these things, but also realize they are not an answer to a badly fitted transmission and can under the right conditions, speed the eventual destruction of things if fitted without regard to other unresolved faults. On the other hand, while they won't wear similarly to babbit (like every babbit bearing still in the engine), they are expensive and provide a solution where there wasn't a problem, thus don't really interest me.

BTW, my next transmission will have one of your transmission shafts. I just think it's an excellent idea. That is a solution to an actual problem...not another solution in search of a problem. Kudos to you in imagining it and developing it.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:15 pm

With a bearing rather than Babbitt, how do you keep oil from migrating into the torque tube?

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:27 pm

Mark
The bearing includes a seal on each side

Rich Huggins
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Huggins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring- 1922 deverley truck -1922 center door
MTFCA Number: 50661

Post by Rich Huggins » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:19 pm

I have been looking for month's to get my hands on a 4 rear main sealed bearing ball cap

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic