Enforced Isolation - Countrywide Shut Down

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Enforced Isolation - Countrywide Shut Down

Post by A Whiteman » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:35 pm

In New Zeland we are entering 4 weeks MINIMUM of enforced stay at home isolation from tomorrow.

What will we do? :-0

Here are some of the things planned/ underway:

1) Sort out the spare T parts in the garage. Uhh, how many nuts and bolts ARE there!

2) Continue our "Hill-Lux" lunch. Model T guys shooting the breeze over a sandwich each Wednesday. (Called "Hill-Lux" as for a while three of us arrived in Toyota Hilux trucks). We will try conference calls or maybe that Skype thing while we describe our sammies to each other ;-) (Our wives call it the "Last of The Summer Wine Group" - for those familiar with that I can say they probably aren't far wrong!)

3) weed the garden - oooh hold on there don't get too carried away I say! :-(

4) put our projects together. In the Hill-Lux group we have a '24 T Roadster, '17 Caddy and 30soemthing A Tudor and a 30 something A cut down on the go. At least we can ponder problems and suggestions over the phone. Not able to go to the auto supply store may mean getting creative in solutions.

5) play online scrabble. Well, never tried that before.

6) stand back from the fence and yarn with the neighbour. Glad we have good neighbours too :-)

7) skype call the Granddaughter (she is "2" cute for words :-) )

8) weed more of the garden....

9) finish sorting those T parts....

Any other bright ideas?

I have been "gaming" on line with a tank shooting game after my son talked me in to trying with him. That is fun to 'drive' old tanks and chat with folks around the world. You can join 'clans' of more or less like minded folk and shoot the breeze while shooting tanks. It is surprising how many over 55's (and over 70s) there are playing tank, airplane and ship battle games! Not just kids.

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Re: Enforced Isolation - Countrywide Shut Down

Post by Dallas Landers » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:36 pm

Beating the mental part is the hardest. Sounds like you are very prepared. You have a good plan. Stay positive and you will do fine. We are under "Shelter in Place" orders here in Indiana. No forced placed on us yet.
I have a couple T projects to work on among other things to do. I trimmed all the trees in the west pasture and piled all the brush. Tomorrow I plan to install the security cameras I purchased over a year ago. They just dont work inside the box they came in. :D
Many other things but I will stay occupied. No excuses folks, get the T's ready for driving season and all the other Honey Do's finished. This wont last forever and spring is springing.

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:43 pm

Next county over from me is going to stay at home orders thursday. Most city folk don't have any method of self entertainment like folks here on the forum. 3 rooms and all those walls.
So far my county and the 1 I go to for gas and the store and such are not on "lockdown" But as cases mulitply it probably will.
I must admit,i am trying my dangest not to worry about all this as it is no fault of my own. But it is difficult.
I have PLENTY of things to do. I did buy some furniture polish today and I am hoping to clean up some of my old radios and electronic equipment that I have not messed with in a long time.
The T project will be getting alot of attention.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

tmodeldriver
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Hester
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 touring, 27 touring, 22 TT
MTFCA Number: 26459
MTFCI Number: 20813
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by tmodeldriver » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:09 pm

Introverts of the world, our time has finally come. We have a chance to help save mankind by simply staying home and doing nothing. Do your best, the world may not pass this way again.

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:36 am

As an employer, my biggest concern is my employees, and the position they might
find themselves in if a true "clamp" is placed on us all. I have scheduled 3 large projects
in a row that have us all very out of sight and away from the public. Hopefully this
will allow everytone to keep on working. I am concerned for a few of our clients, who
may need things, but we'll take those issues as they come up.

If I were forced to stay home, .... my God ... the things that could get done ! All
those projects that just beg for me to have some free time !

Anyone bored, and without something to do, really needs to re-evaluate what exactly
it is they do with their life. Who doesn't have a fence that needs attention, a house that
needs paint somewhere, gardens weeded, shops and closets organized ... it never ends ! :roll:
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Topic author
A Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Post by A Whiteman » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:39 am

DAY 1 (One) (27 more to go - at least that what they tell us)

Made more wooden boxes out of off-cuts to store parts in and continued the sort out...
boxes.jpg
parts.jpg

Topic author
A Whiteman

Post by A Whiteman » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:32 am

DAY 2 (two) (26 more to go)

Well today it rained, so no weeding of the garden ;-) - whew, dodged that today at least.

The project for the day was altering the mounts and installing the mirror "portrait" and not "landscape".

Why you may ask? Any married man can tell you that asking that question is a rather pointless exercise. A "yes dear" is the expected comment to be made followed by completing the requested task!
20200327_155722.jpg

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by DLodge » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:56 am

sofa.jpg

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:25 pm

:P :lol: !!!!!
Attachments
9B767B83-6F79-4CCD-8E15-74051FE1CCB9.jpeg

Hal
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)

Post by Hal » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:47 pm

We are working from home. The younger guys get to rotate in and out, as the plant is not shut down. We build ag equipment and are considered an essential industry. Manufacturing needs our department's support. Since I am "older", so far I have not been permitted to come in. So I am exiled to the house, thankful to still be employed. Dang computer works mighty slow using remote desktop. Not as efficient as I'd like to be, but still getting things done.

We eat out a lot, and vow to keep patronizing our regular restaurants, albeit mostly all takeout now.

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:40 pm

Yea, the local greasy spoon I eat breakfast at is hurting. 2 of the waitress's are cancer survivors and actually worked while on chemo trying to keep their bills paid. I told 1 of the gals this morning that unless the National Guard puts a gun to my face to stop me, I would be geting my damn breakfast from there to do my part to keep at least a tiny segment of our economy flowing.The damage is huge and rampant and heartless to our small bussiness's. Yesterday on tv, they said the unemployment website was bumping people off,crashing and everything else. Call centers were understaffed,over worked and so forth.
More restrictions are NOT going to help the country.
As for me, I mowd the neighbors yard, did the spraying and so forth. Will be doing some more yard work for other folks sateday. Been filling up everything with gas and i have some food bought up so if I don't go out for a couple days I am good.
had some free firewood brought in yesterday and I started stackin it today. A buddy cut a bradford pear tree that had fell in a yard. Musta been huge as it provided a 18 foot trailer load of firewood.Some kinda big, needs splitting. I hit it with a splitting maul, all I did was jar my teeth!. So the next wood spliter that comes along for repair, well there is the feild test material. I never send a piece of equipment out of my shop I don't personally use for a short time and confirm it is fixed.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Topic author
A Whiteman

Post by A Whiteman » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:58 pm

DAY 3 (three) (25 more to go - and they are rumbling it "may" be longer already)

OH NO!!!!

3 days in and the washing machine flooded the laundry!!

OH NO!!!

Well that defined today's project. Moving said machine from the laundry to the garage (more room to pull it apart), pull down covers and have a look at the pipes and wires....
IMG_20200328_123928.png

and more pipes ….
IMG_20200328_123934.png

Hmm, followed what looks like an air line from a switch by the water inlet down to a drain plug at the bottom, removed the rubber cover, poked a finger in ……. and ….. this came out:
IMG_20200328_123941.png
Whew, I have to say that the machine was easy to open up and easy to get at the plugs and covers. Well designed.

So, I am now the hero of the day - washing is 'back on line' (I shudder to consider the alternative - hand washing in the bath tub.

Keep separate and keep smiling (the responsible man picture above did bring a smile :-) )

BHarper
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Harper
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '20 TT Farm Truck, '24 TT Depot Hack, '24 Coupe, and a 1914 Metz Model 22 Torpedo Runabout
MTFCA Number: 5414
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by BHarper » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:59 pm

Topic author
A Whiteman

Post by A Whiteman » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:30 pm

DAY 4 (four) (24 more to go)

Sunday today, and a smaller project. The granddaughter (bless her) dropped grandad's taxi cow and broke a horn and leg off. It is a memento of a trip to the Big Apple (do you remember the "Cow Parade"?) a few years ago. It has been sitting on the shelf for a week or so waiting for its 'turn' for attention. I had a go at using PVA wood glue to fix things as it soaks into the ceramic well and leaves a clear finish with any excess easily cleaned off. Just a little bit missing from one leg - but I guess all taxis in NYC sport a bit of damage too, so that would make the cow more authentic ;-)

IMG_20200329_145856.png

NHUSA
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Dimock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 T with Mifflinburg Suburban body

Post by NHUSA » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:16 am

I am working from home and I am not bored.

But I have a question..
Why are there 6,576 grains of rice in one bag and only 5,923 in another?
NH - Where I used to live - not the carburetor ! :lol:

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:26 am

Metric vs. Imperial
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:33 am

:)
Thankful to be temporarily layed-off right now. Have more time to work on the Twin City tractors here!
Whew, we are in OT land. I think I can say that... ;)
I need to read the replies yet.
Thanks Adrian!
IF I was judicious and had my affairs in order, I'd post pics of my madness!
What will we do?
Busy(er) as/than all get-out here. Parts flying in/sent in from all corners of the US. Too much to do. Happy. :)
Dared go to town today to drop off a couple of HEAVY heads to get cleaned up at another shop.
Glad to have the time...
Oof. Need to clean the carb on the Old Bolens as I have tilling to do. Soon.
Such fun! True.
LOVED the Last Of The Summer Wine reference! You betcha! I know that too. Fan of the Compo era.
Last edited by Duey_C on Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:48 am

:shock: :lol:
Attachments
C8B9E997-7A3A-44C8-892B-74337E6E4170.jpeg

Topic author
A Whiteman

Post by A Whiteman » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:18 am

A bit behind in posting....

DAY 5 (five) (23 more to go)

Monday. What did we do today. Not a lot, it was wet and cold so I stayed indoors and read a book. Tom Clancy needed dusting off and I realised I must be getting older when I recognised the latest tech he describes and note it is largely only found in museums now ...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Day 6 (six) (22 more to go)

Tuesday. Well, I thought it was time to bolt the 4 post hoist to the concrete floor of the garage. I bought it second hand for NZ $760 (about US 500), and thought it was a good buy. It is a 'screw jack' hoist with a screw each corner, so no chance of it collapsing unexpectedly.

My buddy Chris (also a T man) lent me his hammer drill before lock down started so I could carve out the bolt holes needed for the ramset bolts. All going good - two holes done and on to the third. Half way down and … boof! orange yellow flames billowed out of both sides of the drill. OOH turn it off quick!

Well, it was quite funny when we thought about it, no warning then flames, just like a Mr Bean effect .... I will let you guess where the drill was made.....

This isolation is getting rather dangerous :-)

Day 7 (seven) (21 more to go - ONE WEEK DONE yaaa)

Wednesday. Getting with the times Luke (the home made timer man) decided we should put our weekly lunches "on line". Four of us usually meet for apricot sandwiches each week to chat about T stuff and other vitally important things in the vintage motoring world.

Being a little more techno, Luke arranged a "Zoom" meeting. Surprisingly it was pretty good fun and despite my technical issues (talking like a robot) it was a good way to still have lunch and catch up with each other while not being able to meet up in person. I am looking forward to next week's instalment.

Good stuff Luke :-)

Being a nice day, I also made up some more storage boxes for T parts in the afternoon. Being kept away from the lumber yard it is surprising what you can make with off cuts and bits lying around the workshop.

Day 8 (eight) (20 more to go - week two starts)

This is getting to be like 'Ground Hog Day".....

I borrowed a neighbour's hammer drill today (he left it by my shed - no social contact!!) to continue the hole drilling for the hoist install. All went well, I finished the final 2 holes and one post is now bolted down firmly with 4 anchor bolts. 3 posts to go.

I walked over to the workshop for a spanner and back to the garage - no lights on. Fuses all OK. Check the meter (new electronic type) and no "L1"
showing. Having had a fuse blow at the gate in December I knew this meant a problem on "phase 1". A call to Chris (he is also a sparky). Phase 1 is down to 110V instead of the usual 240V. Hmmm, something is wrong. Chris' advice was to call the lines company.

As everyone is "locked down" they were having a quiet day today so it was a short wait for an "essential services" technician to arrive. An hour later after inspecting everything and testing the meter he decided it was a cable fault, so he called the cable guy then headed off.

The cable guy soon arrived and then spent the next 3 hours tracing the underground cable (about 180m long) trying to pin point the problem. That was a most interesting process as he used three different techniques to search. After a judicious decision we dug a hole at the end of the cable by the meter board and yes, there was the cable and, yes there was a fault. It would need jointing, so he called the jointing guy, but had to stay as it was his job to manage the power.

The jointing guy arrived and yes it was a fault in the cable. The earth stake had nicked the cable when it was installed 7 years ago and over time water had corroded the aluminium cable turning it to white powder. Quite interesting really. Well, he wasn't sure if he had enough joiner cable so a call to the supervisor to bring some more. After consultation between them, the cable was jointed, the power reconnected and the hole filled in.
IMG_20200402_220212.png
We now have power again!!!!

Now to be fair they were a great bunch of guys and worked hard, as it was not a straight fault to trace. It was a beautiful afternoon and we all enjoyed a bit of 6-foot apart social interaction. I think we all just wanted to see a 'real' human face and 'have a yarn' as we say, so I am very happy with the job done.

What awaits us on Day 9!!

Topic author
A Whiteman

Post by A Whiteman » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:02 am

Day 9 (nine) (19 more to go)

A fine Autumn day, almost summer like still. I have had a 'name' decal for my shed since before lock down. I have been avoiding installing it as it looked rather daunting.

Today was the day to put it on the shed. After all, every property needs a name and my wife named ours "Tunlaw Park" when she planted the first tree, which was a Walnut (and still growing). In the early days before I got the irrigation in we lost about 50% of the trees …. we have real dry summers and the ground is stony, so hard going for any new tree to get a start in life.

Back to the decal sign: took a while of fiddling and measuring but we are pleased with the effect. I had to install each letter one at a time:
Shed Sign.png

Albert lives in the right side of the shed, (and yes, I know the light is off center, but alas the framing design precluded a central spot).

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:26 am

The lamp may be off, but the name is nicely centered!

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:45 am

The building and sign look very nice and if you want to center the light just hold it still and slide the building over!
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Topic author
A Whiteman

Post by A Whiteman » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:10 pm

As long as the lamp lights I won't get lost in the dark! And with the new sign I won't wonder where I am :D

Day 10 (ten) (18 more to go)

Saturday. I got a little distracted with the bolt spec chart (see main forum post). The result is a new version of a Bolt, Stud and Machine Screw table. This will be only focused on the main bolts. I have been researching various documents and fleshed out quite a bit from the 2009 start version. It should be available "soon". Once I get it done please have a look and submit correction or fill in omissions or confirm the 'unsure details' (which will be in yellow cells).

Thanks to those who have given help so far.

Topic author
A Whiteman

Post by A Whiteman » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:38 pm

Day 11 (eleven) (17 more to go)

Sunday. A quiet day today. I got a bit more Tom Clancy read and attacked the 'Bolt Chart' again.

Being Sunday and not able to go to church we instead watched a sermon from Parkside Baptist, Dallas, Texas. Wow, technology is amazing that we can do that all the way from New Zealand.

Keep safe out there.

Topic author
A Whiteman

Post by A Whiteman » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:46 pm

Day 12 (twelve) (16 more to go)

Monday. Back to finish off the hoist bolts. All done! The hoist is now nice and tightly bolted down:
20200407_120630.jpg

Let's try it out :-)

Ahhh - the chain broke :-(

Each post has a 'screw nut' that runs on a fixed screw inside the posts. A loooong chain runs right around each corner and through the box section that supports the right side ramp.
20200407_120622.jpg

Good news is that it broke by the motor - right where it is easily accessed. Whew.

I managed to find the bits and found it was a joiner link that had let go. The clip holding it together has come off. Fortunately new links are in stock at the local engineering supplier who is an "essential service" but cannot sell to the general public. Fortunately I have a 'trade account' there too, so I am not 'general!.

Topic author
A Whiteman

Post by A Whiteman » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:46 am

Day 13 (thirteen) (15 more to go)

Tuesday. Well, nothing much today except ..... gardening .... Well hedge trimming and pick up of bits. That's about it today - I didn't break anything either!!

Topic author
A Whiteman

Post by A Whiteman » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:55 am

Day 14 (fourteen) (14 more to go) - HALF WAY - Yaaaa

Wednesday. They say the tight lock down is working as infection rates are falling and only one death (an elderly person with other issues). We are starting to think about how we reopen business.

So what did we do today? I joined the broken chain in the hoist (elbow deep in old black grease) and then found a pully pin I had to remove had not really been seated properly, so now to find a reamer and adjust the mounting for a proper fit as I can't bring myself to leave it the way it was. I just don't happen to have a reamer....

Then, off to more hedge cutting, more raking and more dumping. I have too many hedges I decided....

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:56 am

We are about half way through the 4th week here. Have been out only to mail some bills(still do it the old way with a check), and to market to get food and necessary supplies. People are wearing masks and keeping their distance. Try to call one or two friends or family members or e-mail them every day (not the same ones every day).
Have only looked at the T's as all are running at this time and the other one requires two men to install the top on a warm sunny day.
It has rained at least half the time since this isolation has begun and all spring social events and T tours have been cancelled or postponed. Even a one time event. A party for one of our member's 90th birthday. Not many of us live to see that day, and very sad that his party will have to be delayed. He is still very healthy in mind and body and active in club events.
I have been cutting some brush making a fire break, and pulling weeds between storms.
Norm

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:15 pm

Well Norman, my curiosity got the better of me and I took a look, as I'd never heard of Alpine, CA. Looks like a pleasant spread out area of lowish population and some good hills to give the T a good work out. And I can see why you are working on a firebreak...
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
A Whiteman

Post by A Whiteman » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:53 am

Day 15 (fifteen) (13 more to go)

Thursday. The Government is issuing instructions for businesses to plan for going down to "level 3" - one below the current "4" or Lock down. This has restricted movement and limitations on what businesses can do. Well, it is light at the end of the tunnel. All folk entering New Zealand from now on must stay in a government controlled quarantine for 2 weeks. Only way to try and keep the virus out I guess.
One advantage of being a small island nation in the South Pacific.

Today was more hedge cutting, more raking and more dumping. One more day and that will be done!. Sorted those bolts some more and had another fiddle with the hoist, but I think I need a reamer to do it properly.

Keep distant all.

Topic author
A Whiteman

Post by A Whiteman » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:46 pm

Day 22 (twenty two) (6 more to go) (I think...)

Thursday again.

Well, the weeds have been growing so a bit of spraying in order,
20200416_110833.jpg
then a 'stay-cation' as the buzzword says, over Easter. Who would believe it is autumn.
I am losing track of what day it is!
20200410_173647.jpg

In the meantime I had an idea and a sheet of ply and the following is the result. Most of these are unusable or damaged parts from the collection Chris and I acquired and from my own stocks. This has kept me busy over the last week, sorting, making and researching the parts. See the post in the general forum for more details (hint, no two are the same - except for the coils maybe):
20200416_111013.jpg

Topic author
A Whiteman

Post by A Whiteman » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:27 am

Day 24 (twenty four) (4 more to go) (I think...)

Saturday again.

Lawn mowing day today. I have about 3 acres of lawns, takes a while!

I use a Kubota ZD lawn mower. That's a 'zero turn' diesel powered machine with a 60" deck. It gets a long at about 8kph when mowing so covers the ground pretty quick.

Roll on ending of this lock in.

Luke
First Name: Luke
Last Name: P
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Post by Luke » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:18 am

I hope you haven't completely cornered the market on timing covers!

Since I can't get any parts right now my working mower is bigger and faster than yours - and it's a Ford (where's the 'pokes-out-tongue' emoticon?) - but getting in close to the house is problematic. Mower 1, Window 0 :x

----------- Beware Groupthink, Socialism and the Nanny [police] State we now live in ----------

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”- Clive Staples Lewis

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:35 pm

A good reason I am working on a fire break is that in 2003 we had a fire which started near Julian (a town about 40 miles from here. A hunter got lost and started a fire to signal his location. The fire got away from him and we had a "Santa Ana" wind that day. Those winds come from the desert east of the mountains in the fall. That fire was in October that year. By morning the fire had traveled all the way to the outskirts of San Diego and it passed north of us. It looked like a long way from here so we went to church. It was Sunday morning. I had always thought that if we had to evacuate, we would go toward San Diego and find a room or stay with a son who lived there. While we were in church the wind shifted and the fire began to move south cutting off the highway to San Diego and burning many houses along the way. After church we began packing important documents and pictures in the car and truck. we took several changes of clothes and about 3:00 PM the sheriff came and said we should evacuate. We had to go east because the fire was then between us and San Diego. We went down to the main street of town and parked. It looked like the smoke had died down, so we went home and had dinner. Before we were finished, the electricity went off. I looked out and saw the flames coming over the mountain about a mile from here, so we left and went east and parked across from Viejas Indian reservation. We saw flames go over the mountain east of our home and thought everything was lost. We then left and went about 35 miles to the east of us to a place called Boulder Oaks where there is a high school which was an evacuation center. We stayed there for at two nights and finally were told we could go home. The rumors were going around that the whole town of Alpine had burnt down. When we got home we found our house and garage still standing and our two Model T's still there. All the neighbors around us were cheering each other. No damages here. The summer before that my son and I had cleared brush for 100' around our house. The fire had burnt right down to the area we had cleared. For the rest of the week we had no electricity so only could read during the daylight hours and listen to a battery radio. Our son would go in to work and our land line telephone was still working, so he would ask us what we wanted for dinner and he would bring home take out. That's why we keep a fire break. So far that was the worst problem we have endured during my lifetime until this covid which not only affects out town but the entire earth.
Norm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic