How to save a Rod

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Pops
First Name: David
Last Name: Houston
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13,14,19,21,&etc
MTFCA Number: 32227
MTFCI Number: 23901

How to save a Rod

Post by Pops » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:54 pm

Hello: I joined the "BCC"(Broke Crank Club)!
The Crankshaft broke between the third main and # 3 rod journal . The rod is bent and might be twisted also. The engine only about 8000 miles from a total rebuild(NOT A "RUST-OLEUM "RB" {all babbit-rods,crank,valves cam&ALL}by a rebuilder mentioned in the "T -TIMES" as a noted "A" Model and "T" engine qualified shop located in WNC.)
That said how can I save this rod?? Can I put it in a press,use a "swing hammer"(lol),I do have a press and a since of what a bend looks like--straight line is and maybe a twist with a steel "STARRETT"
Any And ALL suggestions will will greatly appreciated NO matter how helpful and/or how interesting they might be!
---HAVE A GREAT DAY & TAKE CARE---DAVID H>
---dhouston66 dot dh at gmail.com or pm---maybe I can find that it THANKS POPS

RichardG
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Grzegorowicz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 T pickup

Re: How to save a Rod

Post by RichardG » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:04 pm

David first i'm very sorry, is your ford prone to free starts? reason for asking there hard on cranks.

RichardG
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Grzegorowicz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 T pickup

Post by RichardG » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:07 pm

forgot there is a jig to align the rod, depending how bent,it may be worth the investment for a new rod,

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:11 pm

There are tools for that, I apologize for not having the numbers, but someone surely will.
I sold a jig to Joe A. for checking the rods and I believe he also got a long bar with a fork in it for bending the rod...

This is the fixture...
Attachments
IMG_3277.JPG
IMG_3276.JPG

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:32 pm

A good machine shop should have a jig to check bend and twist in rods. They should also have a rod vice for straightening any bends. It is a job for someone with special tools and the know how to use them.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Topic author
Pops

Post by Pops » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:46 pm

Hello Thank you al' for the respond !! From that I believe I need a rod adjustment device that can show me how to fix the rod ! If you have one please email me --I would like to get one at a fair price I am not a dealer just a:T: member that we all get togather and BS-plus work on the cars .
If any one have one one of of those rods set tools please get intouch with me
Thanks MUCH DAVIDS (AKA_POPS) dhouston66-dot-dh at gnail.com pops

Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Post by Erik Barrett » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:41 am

Pops, you can't align a model T rod on equipment designed for newer rods because of the small diameter of the model T crank journal. If you think your rod is OK then straighten it as needed. I will do it for you on our KRW alignment machine at no cost if you want to send it to me and pay for return shipping.
Fordially, Erik

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:03 am

And I think Erik Barrett is about as good as they get! He does wonderful work, and helps many local hobbyists.
Yes, rods can be measured and straightened the "hard way". However, if one must ask the questions? One should not try it oneself except in emergencies with no other options (Kep might argue with me there, but where Kep is? There are not many other options!). I have a great deal of respect for Kep, and what he accomplishes with so little to work with.

Randall strickland
First Name: Randall
Last Name: Strickland

Post by Randall strickland » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:45 am

Pops I can check your rod for bend and twist ,I'm near Mt Airy if I can help
Randall

Topic author
Pops

Post by Pops » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:13 pm

Erik-and-Randall I hope you all got the PM i sent Thank you

Kohnke Rebabbitting
First Name: Herman
Last Name: Kohnke
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Roadster, 1922 Coupe

Post by Kohnke Rebabbitting » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:50 pm

If your Crank wasn't broken before, you have got something out of alignment. Either your crank was ground out of alignment, as very few people don't know how to grind a Model T crank. They always push hard on the center main when grinding, and grind the crank out of alignment. A Model T crank, is very wimpy!

If the crank is all right, check the accuracy of the align bore. Any misalignment, when the Flywheel is trying to straighten the three mains on the crank, when running will will flex the crank, always at the same point.

The transmission also has to be in a straight, center line with the tail shaft. That means Crank, Transmission Main Shaft, Brake drum bushing with the tail shaft, and tail shaft.

Over the years, I have heard on here that original babbitt was going to be saved, in a engine. The crank was out, a few thousandths in the center main, and was going to be straightened. Even when the center indicates close, or true, the crank is still out. The center line will still wipe, where the crank is still out, and as the flywheel tries to straighten the crank at its still sprung points, the crank flexes, till it brakes.

Just like bending a piece of wire back and forth.

The only thing that breaks cranks, that are common are Flexing, and lugging, and alignment.

Herm.

Kohnke Rebabbitting
First Name: Herman
Last Name: Kohnke
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Roadster, 1922 Coupe

Post by Kohnke Rebabbitting » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:57 pm

by Kohnke Rebabbitting » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:50 pm

If your Crank wasn't broken before, you have got something out of alignment. Either your crank was ground out of alignment, as very few people know how to grind a Model T crank. They always push hard on the center main when grinding, and grind the crank out of alignment. A Model T crank, is very wimpy!

If the crank is all right, check the accuracy of the align bore. Any misalignment, when the Flywheel is trying to straighten the three mains on the crank, when running will will flex the crank, always at the same point.

The transmission also has to be in a straight, center line with the tail shaft. That means Crank, Transmission Main Shaft, Brake drum bushing with the tail shaft, and tail shaft.

Over the years, I have heard on here that original babbitt was going to be saved, in a engine. The crank was out, a few thousandths in the center main, and was going to be straightened. Even when the center indicates close, or true, the crank is still out. The center line will still wipe, where the crank is still out, and as the flywheel tries to straighten the crank at its still sprung points, the crank flexes, till it brakes.

Just like bending a piece of wire back and forth.

The only thing that breaks cranks, that are common are Flexing, and lugging, and alignment.

Herm.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic