Muffler installation

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
FundyTides
First Name: David
Last Name: Wilson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Canadian Touring
MTFCA Number: 51596
Board Member Since: 1999

Muffler installation

Post by FundyTides » Thu May 21, 2020 12:27 pm

I have an ongoing problem with keeping the (reproduction) muffler attached to the exhaust pipe in my 27 Touring car. I understand that a clamp is not required and that the muffler should just slip on the pipe and be held in place by the rear bracket. However, I have resorted to a clamp because of previous problems and the muffler still eventually works it's way off the pipe unless I check and tighten it every once in a while-more frequently on our typical spring time bumpy roads. I have thought of extending the tailpipe a few inches so the muffler can't get off the end as easily. Has anyone else had this problem and what are the suggested solutions.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Re: Muffler installation

Post by DHort » Thu May 21, 2020 1:11 pm

I had mine clamped down and the muffler bracket broke. Dallas Landers helped me remove the broken bracket. Then we installed a muffler hanger (rubber type product) that gave it some flexibility. Maybe that and a clamp will work for you. The whole assembly requires some sort of flexibility since the car flexes so much.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu May 21, 2020 1:47 pm

Original the exhaust pipe was run all the way thru the muffler so the hang bracket at the end supported the whole assembly. As the muffler/tail pipe expanded and contracted the hanger flexed. This is how the system worked. So yes there should be a clamp at the tail pipe to muffler connection. Sounds like getting the tail pipe a little longer should be the way to go, then clamp it as was intended, as yours now sounds, the tail pipe was cut too short. Before I understood how the whole system worked, I was in the no clamp camp, but after learning how things work together, have changed my point of view.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Thu May 21, 2020 2:33 pm

I would like to see the machine that rolled the bead into the exhaust pipe originally. I would be great for clarification. Several years ago, I had 50 late exhaust pipes made as close to the original as possible. They all sold right away. BTW, those late exhaust pipes were used from1921-1927. I have a NOS Ford script original to prove it. I have a very good used pipe on my 1925, and have never had an issue with it. I'm sure there were aftermarket companies that made those pipes too. Wouldn't it be nice to know who they were!

Lonnie Doan
First Name: Lonnie
Last Name: Doan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 coupe

Post by Lonnie Doan » Thu May 21, 2020 3:26 pm

Mr Smith, is there any way that you would make more OEM pipes for my 23 including the small parts like you did before? I'd pay a decent price for a high quality piece like you make. Please, please, please make some more. Did I say please? Email me when done. I'll take two.

mtntee20
First Name: Terry & Sharon
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Center Door, 1920 TTWood cab Farm Truck with cable dump grain bed, 1920 TT C-Cab with express bed, 1927 Wood body Dairy Delivery truck
MTFCA Number: 32583
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by mtntee20 » Thu May 21, 2020 4:36 pm

I agree with Lonnie, Please make some more exhaust pipes. I am sure you will be able to sell them.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu May 21, 2020 8:35 pm

The Canadians did not have the upset ridge in the pipe at the front of the muffler. The front end of the muffler simply jammed up against a large split pin which went clear through the exhaust pipe. Any exhaust pipe can be extended to the correct length and the split pin used at the front. Easy fix, and factory correct.

Allan from down under.

ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Thu May 21, 2020 11:26 pm

I agree with those that have suggested that you lengthen the exhaust pipe as much as you can and still get the muffler to fit. If you're using a universal muffler/tailpipe clamp with a rubber insulator, that should solve the problem, however, if you are using a reproduction take apart muffler that has a mounting clamp welded to the muffler, and you don't want to use a universal muffler clamp, do not fasten the muffler mounting clamp firmly to the frame. Instead, find you a bolt of the same size as the hole in the muffler mounting tab and frame, long enough to go through the frame and muffler mount with about 1" to spare. Place a fairly stiff coil spring (like the ones in a radiator mounting kit) on the bolt between the muffler and frame. Tighten just enough so spring has contact, but no more. Secure with a Nylon insert nut or if the bolt was drilled for a cotter pin, secure with a castellated nut and cotter pin.
Last edited by ModelTWoods on Fri May 22, 2020 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Thu May 21, 2020 11:56 pm

Some people I know do not even use a muffler. Model T's are not that loud.

Topic author
FundyTides
First Name: David
Last Name: Wilson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Canadian Touring
MTFCA Number: 51596

Post by FundyTides » Fri May 22, 2020 7:14 am

Thanks for all the great ideas. Alan, I didn't know about the cotter pin in the original Canadian pipe. Just one more thing that is unique to cars here in the great white north. By the way, snow has all but disappeared so no more snowmobiling for this year!

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Fri May 22, 2020 9:59 am

I've heard of the Canadian style before. Wouldn't it be nice if someone would post a picture!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic