FORDLOC key needede

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Chris Haynes
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Haynes
Board Member Since: 2019

FORDLOC key needede

Post by Chris Haynes » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:14 pm

I just bought this FORDLOC. Does anybody know where I could get a key made?

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115

Re: FORDLOC key needede

Post by DanTreace » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:11 am

Find a locksmith, one with old time skills, they are around.

Web search found this one near you , site says they can make key for most, just call and describe the tumbler and item, might just do it. Or if questioned might know who can in their field. Only a good locksmith can do this.

https://www.securityunlimitedlocksmithl ... placement/
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:17 pm

The key and its operation for the FORDLOC is totally different. The lock operates by the key being pushed into the tumblers. Here is a picture I found online of what the key looks like.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:06 pm

Chris does your lock have the same numbers on it like the one you have? If the numbers are different and if it’s a 4 digit number it’s probably the key depth code for the lock. If it’s the same it could be just a part number for the lock.
It’s a good thing you found that picture of a key. Now you can go by that or have a locksmith to determine what width and depth the key needs to be. That picture will really help. It shouldn’t to difficult to make the blank if you have to since you know what it looks like.

DanTreace

Post by DanTreace » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:27 pm

Chris

Fortunate to have that photo of key, as John noted, the tumbler is 'six lever' type, as described in this old adv. from 1916 auto supply catalog.

IMG_1331.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford

Benp
First Name: Benjamin
Last Name: Perfitt
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Benp » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:29 pm

Yes, the picture could help a LOT. That key is pretty distinctive. I’d recommend trying to find an original before investing in a locksmith (sorry locksmith’s).
I don’t have any idea what year your lock was made (1920’s?) but early locks didn’t use too many different series — if any different.
Just recently I renewed effort to find an original key for my pre-1920 non-Ford car. (It’s one of the ‘magneto keys’ pictured on the chart below - not even saying which one) The car hadn’t had the correct key for 50 years, but we found some old ‘barrel’ keys and handcuff keys that could work IF you really played with them.

You can’t go into an antique’s shop without finding a jar of old keys - but that was worse than looking for a needle in a haystack.
Occasionally one would turn up at Hershey with an insane ($100+) price on it. But the value in any old key is in identifying it.
Turns out eBay is the place to go for these old keys. The trick is to search not for what it is — but what it looks to like people now. In my case a search for ‘barrel keys’ narrowed it down to 9,000 from 17,000 ‘vintage key’ listings. Took about 3 hours and a pair of reading glasses, but eventually I found these very rare early keys turn up regularly. Always in a large mixed lot. People have no clue what they are for. A friend told me, “Keep your MOUTH SHUT and bid on the WHOLE lot and you can get them pretty cheap. They turn up all the time.”
After getting burned a few times, I learned this was true. As rare as they may seem, they do come up regularly.
I learned to be PATIENT and hone in my eBay bidding skills. These lots never come up with a ‘buy it now’ price. Learned to make a low bid ($1 over starting) when first sighted to keep some hyena from convincing the seller to end the auction early. Near the end of the auction up your bid to the maximum you’re willing to pay (I’d say no more than $30 for the typical lot of 20. Could probably turn around and resell the same lot -1 for exactly what you paid). Your only competitors will be ‘steampunkers’. There’s no telling what in a lot may appeal to them - but it certainly won’t be that boring flat key. I lost a few lots before figuring that out and reacted poorly by bidding way too much later. On a good note, my venting of frustration with competing with steampunkers led to the accidental finding of an NOS key. Once I learned not to let the flaky steampunkers get to me I also picked up enough keys for everyone in my club who didn’t have one.

It is findable, only question is which you more willing to invest: Time or money?
Good luck,
Ben P.
Attachments
834A4A14-3690-4EDD-995A-A3267C1D89BE.jpeg

DanTreace

Post by DanTreace » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:39 pm

Adv. for that model throttle and spark lever lock. Note the key is called a 'push key'. :)

IMG_1332.jpg
35% Automobile Supply Co, New York. 1915

Benp
First Name: Benjamin
Last Name: Perfitt
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Benp » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:08 pm

Oh, I have to partially take that eBay hunt recommendation back. A quick google image search revealed that these Fordloc’s were produced to different series which complicates things. That picture won’t match the key unless you have the s/n off the lock.

This one off a google search looks like Y57 - totally different key. Does your lock have a #? If it does, and you can find a photo of same with a key - eBay would be doable. Without — locksmith would be the cheapest way.
Darn.
Attachments
219D288E-6FA0-4223-9661-1C47E0A69B9C.jpeg
Last edited by Benp on Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Eubanks
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Eubanks
MTFCA Number: 49847
MTFCI Number: 8340

Post by Jim Eubanks » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:10 pm

I have one of those but its a SBCO Crank brand. Been wondering what it fits.

Topic author
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:47 pm

There is no number visible in the pictures. They only show one side. Hopefully I will have it in my hands in a few days.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic