Model A hub on Model T

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
BillyBobsSpeedShop
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Webb

Model A hub on Model T

Post by BillyBobsSpeedShop » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:41 pm

I am thinking of adapting Model A hubs to my model T spindles and understand that there are multiple ways to achieve this and curious what others have done. I had a great conversation with Tom Carnegie today in regards to what he has done in the past and curious if others can share what they have done.

Thanks

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
MTFCA Number: 28924

Re: Model A hub on Model T

Post by John kuehn » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:00 pm

Do a google search ‘model A to model T wheel adapters’. You will find past MTFCA posts and lots of pictures on Google and different type of adapters. Some home made and others that are sold from T parts suppliers. The ones made now have gotten higher in cost. Others will have information how they made their own. Good luck.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:48 pm

I have a really nice set of 4, 2 piece design ones for $290.00 with shipping that mount on wood hubs.

Hank

IMG_2441.jpeg

Topic author
BillyBobsSpeedShop

Post by BillyBobsSpeedShop » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:52 pm

Thank you for the offers , the adapters are real nice and have done alot of searching thru google. Just curious what others have done. Thank you for the responses!

Kevin Pharis
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Pharis

Post by Kevin Pharis » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:41 pm

The A spindles are about an inch shorter than the T. So you will need to machine the bearing register and thread back to support the bearings, then drill and cut off the remainder. May need to weld up a few low spots too...

Topic author
BillyBobsSpeedShop

Post by BillyBobsSpeedShop » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:28 pm

Kevin good info.

I also read that you can install a 1/2 inch spacer on the spindle and the install the hub and bearings and there isnt any cutting or rethreading needed?

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:01 pm

This is not to slight anyone who has responded, but you're not going to get much better advice than you have already gotten from Carnegie.

What is your end game, here? Do you percieve that "A" wheels are going to be superior to "T" wheels? Knowing what you're trying to really accomplish may lead to advice that would not otherwise have come forward.
Scott Conger

Full Flow Float Valves - deliver fuel like Henry intended!

Topic author
BillyBobsSpeedShop

Post by BillyBobsSpeedShop » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:04 pm

Well I am currently in the process of building a speedster out of a 26 roadster. I am planning on running a Model A rear with model A brakes and couple it to a jumbo giant transmission that will be coupled to my T motor. Plan on using a a T frame with the Z brackets in the back with Model A split wishbones in the front with the front spring mounted to the wish bones for a spring behind setup. Also changing the steering out to mixture of a willys knight steering column and box and model A steering.

So I plan on adapting the Model A hubs to my model T spindles, ive got the bearings figured out as a inner model A bearing will work with SKF 17387 seal, the outer bearing will be the stock model T.

Two options that I know for the Hub adaption is the 1/2 spacer on the spindle, from what im seeing there will be no modification to the T spindle needed. The other option is tapering the t spindle a little more and lengthin the thread on the spindle along with extending the key way, drilling a new cotter pinhole and cutting a 1/2 off the end of the spindle so a hub cap can be ran on the car.

Thanks

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:11 am

With the Model A hubs installed on T spindle, you will need to use the Model A inner bearings so watch the machined area where the bearing rides with the 1/2" spacer installed. The bearing should fully be seated on that area. The spacer will need to be locked or tight fit on the spindle so it does not spin with the wheel, this will be were the seal rides. Somewhat like installing some later juice brakes on Model A's that use a spacer. While the Model T outer bearings work with the A hubs, the inners do not.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert

Post by Les Schubert » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:18 am

Another option which I have done is to make new spindles that accommodate the brake backing plates and your hubs.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic