Pedal shafts

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
BobShirleyAtlantaTx
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Shirley

Pedal shafts

Post by BobShirleyAtlantaTx » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:33 pm

Opened that pretty Ford marked envelope with the shaft inside, slid the pedal on the shaft only to find a very loose fit. The new shaft is .62375. The old shaft is .62575. That 2 thousands sure messed up my day. I’d post a picture, but I’m not that smart.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee

Re: Pedal shafts

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:48 am

And I thought I was the only one with bad luck! Sorry to hear Bob.

Hank

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Pedal shafts

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:46 pm

Bob

I'll bet that ultimately, you'll want to go with an oversize shaft and ream the hog's head. If you are replacing a shaft, it is because it's worn...the hog's head will be, too. I just finished a job with an oversized shaft...I believe they are made from 16mm rod (.6299). I turned down the pedal area to fit the old pedal and turned down the notch area to fit a new notch. I also found the holes (for the shaft and the notch) to be too close to each other to allow full sweep of the pedal forward to fully engage low band. I had to plug hole and redrill. FWIW.

The good news is these shafts can be bought for less than I can buy the steel for...bad news is they are not always what you want right out of the bag. It would be nice if the shaft had all that machining already done...but that would raise the price of the shaft. That savings is masked at purchase and revealed when the owner finds he must alter his pedal and notch to fit the shaft. What you save on the inexpensive shaft is lost back in modification of all other parts. I found it much easier to modify the shaft and now know that will likely be the case for the forseeable future.

best of luck with your project
Scott Conger

Full Flow Float Valves - deliver fuel like Henry intended!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic