Full Flow float valve

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Full Flow float valve

Post by DanTreace » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:49 am

Just received some new float valves from Scott Conger. These have larger dia. opening in the seat and come with new Vitron tip needle valve and special cupped lead washer to seal the seat in the carb well. Sure like the quality of work, and bet this NH will work well, without leaks!

This carb was completely rebuilt by another, but came with a Grose valve, ball type, that IMO are worthless due to stopage and leakage.
The new Full Float is in the lower right.
Full flow float valve.jpg

Got his available seat tool , works fine, nice tool!
Full flow valve tool.jpg

Inserting the valve seat.
Full flow tool inserted.jpg
Now one can appreciate the larger dia. of the bore of the seat, full fuel flow to keep the carb bowl topped off, when the engine demands full support from that NH :)
Full flow valve seated.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Re: Full Flow float valve

Post by Dan Hatch » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:52 pm

They work great! Really help when the tank is low.
Every body needs these. Dan

StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by StanHowe » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:27 pm

This is a great service to the hobby. The crap some of the vendors have been selling for years had the tips cut on a form cutter and a very small feed hole. Scott's are a great improvement. True they are several dollars more than the cheap ones but which would you rather have, one the works right or ten bucks in your pocket.

I used my last two what week helping the young guy rebuild two NH's, I need to get a couple just to have them around even though I have quite a few NOS needles and a set up to regrind them.

Here is one tip. Removing the old seat. Set your vise and NH on your drill press, with the seat centered below the chuck in which you have inserted a center punch. Put the tool in the seat, put pressure down with the center punch as you are tuning the seat out. It will keep the tool from coming out of the slot in the seat and ruining it for removal. A little heat from a Bernzamatic torch also helps. The old seat will screw right out. I usually give them a little twist and if they don't come right out grab the hot wrench and give them a little warmup. Makes a world of difference.

Tip two. Make sure!! you get the old seat gasket out before you put the new one in. Then make a dowel just the size of the hole the seat sets in. On the end of the dowel, stick a little round of self stick sandpaper or glue one on, maybe take a tiny screw and screw a scrap of sandpaper on it. Chuck it in the drill press and run it up and down in the hole until the bottom where the gasket seals is nice and smooth.

Use the lead washer when you put the new seat in.

Free advice, take it for what it's worth, not what you paid for it.

Stay tuned for more of Uncle Stan's easy helpful hints.

MKossor
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Kossor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring
MTFCI Number: 22706

Post by MKossor » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:03 pm

Looks like a great product, thanks for sharing the information. Any chance it would help me improve performance on my Vaporizer? Any Uncle Stan's easy helpful hints that would?
I-Timer + ECCT Adjusted Coils = Best Model T Engine Performance Possible!
www.modeltitimer.com www.modeltecct.com

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic