The misery continues with this engine...

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Marshall V. Daut
First Name: Marshall
Last Name: Daut

The misery continues with this engine...

Post by Marshall V. Daut » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:54 pm

Just like death itself, this saga has no end...

The new 0.030" oversize aluminum pistons we ordered arrived the other day, so today I began removing the connecting rods from the four-ring cast iron pistons that were in this 1924 engine. To no one's surprise (especially mine), two of the four connecting rods had been installed backwards with the wrist pin bolts facing the driver's side instead of the camshaft. From what I have seen with this engine, that's the LEAST of the stupid/careless things the Einstein "restorer" did to this engine. I won't go into more detail, as you've already read a few of the gory details if you have been following this painful story.
I had hand-fitted the 0.040" rings that we bought to compensate for wear in the cylinders of the oddball-sized 0.031" pistons since boring out to 0.040" cylinders is not an option at this time. The oil ring (#3) in this new set turned out to be too tall for the cast iron pistons, as I have written previously, so that's why we had to order the 0.030" pistons. I began installing the rings after the connecting rods were swapped, USING THE SPECIAL RING EXPANDER TOOL. The very second ring I tried to install went POP!~ and broke in two! C'mon!!! I didn't have it spread all that far apart, but it broke nevertheless. It was then I noticed that Grant had put two different 2nd ring styles in this package: two with a beveled edge and two with a step. I am wondering if this set of rings was thrown together late on a Friday afternoon just before quitting time out of a box of defective rings? For a NEW ring to snap with minimal spreading pressure and have two different style rings for the same ring groove is not confidence inspiring for this company. Anyway, the translation is I need the second ring for aluminum pistons in either 0.030" or 0.040" oversized. I prefer the 0.040" so that I can file the end gap for that cylinder, but will take 0.030". I don't want to buy a whole new set just to get one lousy ring, but I will buy a set for one piston if need be.
Does anyone have an incomplete/broken set of either 0.030" or 0.040" rings they'd sell me? I want this %#$&^*% car out of my life and it ain't happening until these pistons are installed with new rings! I will also place an ad in the classified section of this website. HELP!!! :oops:
Marshall, the Pitiful One
Attachments
IMG_2542_resized.jpg

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
Board Member Since: 2014

Re: The misery continues with this engine...

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:20 pm

In my circles, this is called "Effing the dog", or "Living the FTD dream".

It is best to constantly remind yourself, it could always be worse ! :lol:
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN

Post by Dan McEachern » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:32 pm

Call Grant directly- they are pretty helpful and I'm pretty sure you can purchase individual rings from them.

Topic author
Marshall V. Daut
First Name: Marshall
Last Name: Daut

Post by Marshall V. Daut » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:52 pm

UPDATE: Steven Lang of Lang's Old Car Parts in Massachusetts saw my posting here from yesterday, as well as my direct mail to him, and was able to find an incomplete set of 0.040" piston rings! So, he is sending me a new ring to replace what I suspect was a defective second groove ring, even though he is in no way responsible. Is that great customer service, or what? He has gone the extra mile and single-handedly solved our broken ring problem. Lang's excellent reputation remains intact. We'll be buying more parts from Lang's for my friend's car and mine in the future, knowing we can count on them coming through for us, should a problem arise. I hope they stay around for us Model T guys for a long, LONG time!
My thanks also to those individuals who responded off-line with offers of used rings. That might have been our only other alternative if these new rings had not magically materialized.
Let the fun with this engine begin anew!
Marshall

Quickm007
First Name: Mario
Last Name: Brossard
MTFCA Number: 30981
MTFCI Number: 30981
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Quickm007 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:18 pm

Lang's are very nice people! I try to buy everything I could from them. Their service are 5 stars! They made our hobby fun.
Super Mario Bross ;)

1911 Touring
1914 race car project

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic