U & J adjustment

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman

U & J adjustment

Post by Mark Osterman » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:41 am

Got back from a work trip in Sicily on Tuesday. While I was gone a forum member sent me the correct manifold for the U & J carburetor that was recently rebuilt by Stan Howe. Now I’m ready for installation. I know that there is essentially one adjustment, the needle valve on the bottom but I also see an interesting disc on the throttle shaft with a slot that moves past a hole on the casting in throttle area. (See Picture) Is this an idle air passage?

The slot in the disc seems to be adjustable with how it interfaces with the hole by a collar that can be adjusted and locked with a set screw. Does anyone have an original set of instructions or chapter in an old text that refers to this adjustment?
Attachments
A791CE85-92C7-429B-BF8E-0FCD44B5C2E0.jpeg
8EDE1874-DED0-4722-85AB-F8265ADC6B8C.jpeg

Mark Gregush
Last Name: Gregush
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: U & J adjustment

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:14 am

While you are waiting for instructions; I think you are right about the idle, it leans the mixture at idle. My suggestion would be to install and see how it does. It may not need any attention after the idle speed is set. My micro torch has a similar valve, open all the way to start but adjusted to get a good flame.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Mark Gregush
Last Name: Gregush
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:39 am

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... adjustment

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/25 ... 1348088493

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, September 17, 2012 - 12:17 pm:

I just sent Martin Alexander a U & J Friday before I left to go the auction in Spearfish. He should have it today. I didn't take a picture of it since I've done a bunch of them and already have pictures.

I deal with the bowls, which are broken on all of them, a little differently - maybe not better but it works for me. I chuck the carb body up in the lathe and machine the body down to where a Holley bowl fits on it. It only takes about .040 to make it a good match. I then machine a groove in the mating surface at the bottom for an O ring as the Holley bowl is slightly deeper than the U & J bowl. The O ring stops the leaks and with the body machined to fit the bowl, it will be easy to replace the bowl down the road if it becomes damaged.

They are great carbs and there are a lot of them around because the bowls were very light and all split, some I think when they were new. I have two or three NOS ones and all the bowls are missing so I assume they took the bowls off to replace ones that had split in the day.

The only adjustment other than the main jet is the position of the air bleed on the throttle shaft. It should be positioned so that the bleed is open when the throttle plate is about 1/8 - 3/16ths open, or at about 1/6th of the arc of the throttle arm. That is the U & J economizer, it leans the mixture at low throttle settings. Be sure it has a spring holding the plate tight against the body or it won't idle well. It needs to close that air bleeder hole at idle and when the throttle is open.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
Mark Osterman

Post by Mark Osterman » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:56 am

Right .... thanks. Indid see that but for some reason missed the last part about the air bleed. Nevertheless ... is there an original instruction sheet or vintage book with this information?

Topic author
Mark Osterman

Post by Mark Osterman » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:00 pm

Ohh .. also. Is there any information anoutnthe company. I’ve searched and all I seem to be able to find are small ads that never actually state the full name of the company .. only the U & J initials. Is it Upton & Jones?

Jim, Sr.
First Name: Jim, Sr.
Last Name: Rodell
MTFCA Number: 2406
MTFCI Number: 22213

Post by Jim, Sr. » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:56 pm

U & J Carburetor Co.
Attachments
U&J products.jpg
1922 Coupe , 1926 Touring

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic