Crank handle ratchet

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
brendan.hoban
First Name: Brendan
Last Name: Hoban

Crank handle ratchet

Post by brendan.hoban » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:23 am

I have fitted an adjustable crank T-3963-AX pulley to the crankshaft and now the ratchet only just connects, it mostly slips off.

What have I done that's wrong?

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: Crank handle ratchet

Post by RajoRacer » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:58 am

I don't believe you did anything wrong - I think the issue could be the thickness of the new aluminum pulley not letting the teeth of the ratchet fully engage - you might consider "shortening/grinding" the teeth end just wee a bit so as to verify positive engagement. Perhaps someone else might have some suggestions to remedy your dilemma.

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:04 am

If the front of your pan is bent a bit, the ratchet will interfere with the thicker hub on the aluminum pulley.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:09 am

Some of the pulleys were not machined deep enough for the ratchet to engage completely with the pin, you may have gotten one of those. You could also have a badly worn ratchet, the ends are so worn they no longer cradle the pin.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1921 Huckster
1925 Cut down pickup

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:31 pm

Your best way to go is to use an original Ford pulley. I have stock pulleys on all of my T's with no problems.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett

Post by Allan » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:15 pm

Larry is correct, but if you fitted a flanged lower pulley to stop the belt running off, you may have to pay attention to the fan arm and shaft to get the correct alignment for the belt.

Allan from down under.

DickC
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Cruickshank

Post by DickC » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:02 pm

Speaking from painful experience, put an original pulley on and use a new ratchet. I bought a 1915 touring several years ago from a local "old timer" who came to a meeting of old cars every year. When he arrived I walked over to great him and asked how he was. He said he was doing ok but this would be his last outing because he was getting too old and couldn't crank it anymore. Bought it on the spot. I put it in the barn and several days later went to take it out to test drive it. Engaged the crank and proceeded to do a quarter turn, my other T's start this way. The crank slipped and the back of my had wacked the head light. It hurt! Tried it again and the same thing happened. It really hurt!!! Not one to give up easily, I did it AGAIN. That really, really hurt!!! Went to the house and soaked my hand that resembled a catchers mitt. The problem I found out was the pawls on the ratchet were worn off and would not hold onto the pin. I too looked into the new adjustable pulley when I was replacing the ratchet. I found out as the guys above related that the new aluminum pulley sold by several suppliers would not work. The rest of the story is that I have had to replace two knuckles on my right hand and I believe this experience caused the problem. This is a long story to tell you that I would not fool with the ratchet if it didn't get securely attached to the pin. Best wishes, Dick C.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:32 pm

Often times the old pulley is worn in the holes and it is well and good if you have a stash of NOS or good used ones, but unless you can braze/weld and have a lathe to resize the hole or know someone, you can be fighting the same loose pulley problem with another used one. Lot's of times because the pulley has been working back and forth the crank is worn too. I have tried the shim route, lots of work getting everything fitted. Because the aluminum type clamps to the crank, it becomes a good work around.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1921 Huckster
1925 Cut down pickup

nsbrassnut
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Lee

Post by nsbrassnut » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:02 pm

Hi All

I had the same problem with a new aluminum clamping pulling on my '15.

The pin hole is slightly too far back in the pulley. I decided not to try to cut the center out deeper using my lathe as it didn't look too thick in the back wall.

I elected to take a spare ratchet and slowly file part of the tips of the ratchets down until the ratchet would catch solidly on the crank pin.

Not an ideal solution, but it does work and its tight on the worn end of the crankshaft so no rattles any more.

Jeff
Nova Scotia

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic